where can i find business for my mom who makes cakes?

my mom makes rally cute cakes and wants to get into doing it as a side business to make ends meet. where is the best place or the best way for me to help her find customers. she has a bit of word of mouth right now whihc is how she got into it in the first place.

jessiet143

Asked by jessiet143 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• Maybe she could hook up with a wedding coordinator and show them some pictures of her work, also make some for friends birthday parties................................Good Luck
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My friend does it and she happened to mention it and so I asked. Had my computer worked she would have been able to get my SIL the photos in time. She basically just shared her work. Maybe give lower rates to first time buyers. I loved the cake that was made for my boys. If asked I share her name and the fact that she charged less then the store bakery and it was all frosting vs those stupid plastic things the stores do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• just start doing it. there are ladies here in SC that make their cakes and go out to the flea markets and sell the slices. also take pictures and make business cards on the computer beacuse who doesn't love a good cake???
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Hello Jessie143

I don't know what state your mom lives in but she first needs to make sure she can bake from home for profit. If she is in a home-based baking state, one of the best ways to start a home-based baking business is to introduce your business to the places that can get her exposure. Offer to donate a cake to the city/town Chamber of Commerce; create a buzz. Then ask one of the museums in your area if they are hosting an event and donate a cake or two. Donations may appear in the beginning to be costly, but you gain in getting the word out about your product and building a buzz around your delicious delights. Make sure you are legal, create an inexpensive flyer (small) with all your contact info and if you live near a university contact the fraternity and sorority houses, where the young folks are always looking for cakes to celebrate birthdays and special events; plus they will pool their money! Hope this helps!
    cookingwdenay

Answer by cookingwdenay at 12:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2009