What are the symptoms of your iron being low?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Health

• All the symptoms previously mentioned are usually the most common. Restless leg syndrome can also be a symptom of low iron. I've been anemic twice, both times the first symptom to emerge was the utter lack of energy. Regarding the iron supplements - I have never been able to tolerate the prenatals with iron either. However, they make slow release iron supplements (SlowFe is one such brand). These can be much gentler on your system since it's not releasing the whole does of iron all at once.
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 1:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I think no energy and always tired also you eat ice a lot
    obenblue

Answer by obenblue at 5:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Feeling tired, low energy, sometimes bleeding issues (I know I have them sometimes).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Well I am 16 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I know fatigue is a part of that, but I have been exhausted. I am talking have a full nights sleep, napping with my girls during the day, and ready for bed an hour after I wake up from my nap. I have dark circles under my eyes, no energy to do anything, and weak at times. My prenatals do not have iron in them. I was given a iron supplement, but they recently make me so sick to where I take it and am puking 10 minutes later. I have a doc appt on monday with my OB and plan to talk with her about all this, but it is very frustrating.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My daughter was JUST diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. She was suffering from dizziness, fatigue and headache and noticeable pallor. As it got worse, she also developed shortness of breath and a very high resting heart rate. I've read that other common symptoms include craving things like ice, leg cramps, coldness in hands and feet, poor concentration or irritability. Hope that answers your question.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Lots of things. You could be cold all the time (particularly when no one else is), tired all the time (and look really tired even if you're not), your hair could thin and fall out easily, you could be pale, and you could get dizzy and headachey often. I've had all of the symptoms, even when my iron is not low, and there are a ton of people in my life who've claimed low iron is the reason for all of those things.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• lethargy, pale skin.......Google it or see a doc!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• tired and weak.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Alot of the pp have the right symptoms. Also joint pain, chest pain. Taking my iron on a full stomach helped with nausea.. also eating iron rich foods is good.. i am fan of cream of wheat..
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I was INCREDIBLY anemic, all throughout my pregnancy. Personally, my symptoms were i was always tired, i had no energy whatsoever, and i was extremely pale all the time. I was prescribed iron pills from my ob, but they also made very sick and verrrrry constipated. I would have to agree with Abilyn that the SlowFe brand is excellent, because it slowly releases it into your system and doesn't overwhelm it. Ask your doctor about it. I didnt start taking those until after my pregnancy, and while i was pregnant i stopped taking my iron pills because they made me so sick.
    When i had my daughter, because i was anemic, i hemorrhaged incredibly bad and lost four times the amount of blood your supposed to loose and almost ended up having to have a blood transfusion. It was really hard for me to heal, and now i wish i would have just taken the darn iron pills lol. Good luck to you!
    brittsizemore

Answer by brittsizemore at 4:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2011