Help! 2 month old eating too much?

I am a first time mom and my daughter is 2 months and weighs 12 lbs, 12 oz. She is a preemie, born 6 weeks early. At birth she weight 6 lbs, 1 oz. The dr. is concerned about her rapid weight gain. My husband and I try using a pacifier first when she is fussy instead of shoving a bottle in her mouth but most of the time, it doesn't seem to work. She eats every 2-2.5 hours and has 4 oz usually every time, sometimes less. How can I get her to go longer in between feedings? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

pjnme3

Asked by pjnme3 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know, that actually seems to be about how much my daughter ate to be honest. I am sorry I am of no help to you. She doubled her weight in 2 months. My daughter weighed 7lb 2 oz at birth, lost 4 oz before her first check up, but then by 2 months was 13 pounds. She went from the 22nd percentile to the 90th percentile. My doctors didn't seem concerned at all, but then again, she wasn't premie. Sorry, again.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Time line might be wrong? Premies don't ususally weight in at normal weight, they are usually wayyyyyy under. My gosh I would be estatic if I were you that she is growing so well!!! Term babies are usually between 5 and 8lbs....I would not listen to that, babies are suppose to eat often, my 3 month old eats every 2 1/2 to 3 hours around the clock. Think of it as food=fuel and sleep=growth, they need both. It's instinctual and I would not try and pacify her first....just my opinion. They all even out eventually, and she might need more to compinsate....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son was 5 weeks early. He started at 4lbs 12oz. I just looked in his baby book and at 10 weeks he was 9lbs 10.5oz. So he also doubled his weight in about 2 months. He ate 6 oz every three hours. His doctor was never concerned about his weight. At one he was a little chunker. In fact when I had my second son (they are 13 months apart) we took Harrison to visit the nicu and the doctor there asked if we had been told to put him on a diet because he was so chubby! I was shocked that she would even think that. Now at two he is so skinny. He has only gained a few pounds this past year but has grown a lot.
    Babies know when they are hungry and the have the instinct to stop eating when they are full. I honestly woudn't worry. It doesn't sound like your baby is eating too much to me, it sounds pretty normal compared to my boys.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2008