How do I get my dog to stop pulling out the insole of everyone's shoes?

I have an 11 month old puppy who likes to rip out the insole of shoes, sometimes he chews up the insole but most of the time he just rips them out and leaves them on the floor. Luckily he doesn't usually chew up shoes either - he chewed up my daughter's slipper and one of my sister's shoes that she left here so I don't consider that a problem but its very irritating when I have to keep putting the insoles back in every morning (he usually does it at night or when he's left alone for more than an hour or so).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Pets

• I have our family's shoes on a shoe rack and the ones we don't use often (e.g. summer shoes as it's not warm enough yet) in a big bag in the understair cupboard. I had to put a blanket on top off the shoe rack to stop my 9 month old puppy grabbing the shoes...it's worked :)

Best thing to do is to watch him, and distract him with a toy...maybe a squeaky or something to get his attention. If you are clicker training, click and then reward him by giving him the toy to play with.

My dogs have hundreds of toys (3 big toy boxes full) and of course the pup would much rather have socks or knickers or shoes than any of those toys! So i feel your pain in that sense :)
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 3:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Hide the shoes! =)
    Honestly, I'd try to keep the puppy and the shoes in two different places. You can try negative association, punishing the dog each time he does it, but it's not always effective.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• keep the shoes where he can't get at them?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree try putting the shoes where he can't get to them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry I had to laugh at this one. I have a cat with a shoe fetish as well as my youngest dog. When he was a pup he thought shoes were the best chew toys. My stbxh and daughter were awful about putting their shoes away and I was constantly rescuing shoes.

You can try spraying them with bitter apple or traiding him with something better to chew on when you catch him but I am afraid the only thing that will really work is to put the shoes where the dog can't get them. What kind of things do you have for him to chew on? My might try soup marrow bones or knuckle bones that you can get from the pet store.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He's a spoiled brat already - he has ropes, chews, balls, and bones to play with and he doesn't even chew up the shoes normally - he just likes leaving stuff in the middle of the floor. I wish I could simply put the shoes somewhere else but there really isn't anywhere that I could put the shoes that he won't be able to get to. If I put all the shoes on the highest shelves in the house it would just become more inconvenient for the rest of us and the irritation of having to get something to stand on and retrieve shoes would be worse than shoving the insoles back into the shoes.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• First of all, I'm sorry but HAHAHAHAHAHA. :)
    Best advice, keep the shoes where he won't get them. Dogs are like kids, you wouldn't leave your medications just laying around where you kids could eat them would you??
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 5, 2011