Our really old couch...

So while searching for a lost object, I noticed something odd. I lifted up the couch cushions and was shocked to see a cornmeal-like substance under each of them - particularly the two cushions we sit on most. I've never used cornmeal in the recent past, especially since moving here, and even if I had, I doubt it could get under the couch cushions.

Our couch is quite old - I'd say from the 70s, maybe - it's a hand-me-down from a friends' grandparents, actually. So I'm wondering if whatever it was came from the cushions, just from being sat on over and over?

Does anyone know what this could be?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• That's what it sounds like- the cushions are breaking down
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think not dangerous,, but goodness you have some use out of this one,,,LOL! I would say get a new couch!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It could indeed be the foam that has lost it's moisture and in return turned into the texture of cornmeal.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Another thought - could this be bad for us in the long run? Should we save for a new couch?
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• its the cushions probably old latex foam. I would imagine not too dangerous as long as it is not ingested.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• yeah i think you get a new couch!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2011