How often do you clean your vents? Would cleaning it often have a huge effect on indoor air quality?

I notice that ever since we moved in this house 2yrs ago, my son and I have had allergies. We constantly sneeze and have runny nose, which we don't use to have when we lived in a newer house. This house was built back in the 70s. We replace our filter every 3months and that does not seem to help. We don't want to spend a whole lot of money on an air purifier and find out later that it does not work either.

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 6:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I just saw a home show about this a week or so ago. Vents should be cleaned regularly, at least once a month.
    Did you have a home inspection before moving into this house? Did you get it tested for mold?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I clean mine out with the change of each season. My brother-n-law is a heating and air guy and he says you need to change your home filter once every month especially if you have allergies, no matte what the package says. He also says it doesn't help to skimp on the price, the cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason. He says if you can see through it when you hold it up to the light then it is no good. Hope that helps.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We just rent by the way. We plan to ask permission from our landlord to have our vents cleaned by a professional. How do you get the house tested for mold?

Wow, I did not know that we had to change the filter every month. Average cost is about 5-18 bucks depending on what kind. Might as well charge that to the landlord too. Thank you very much for sharing that info kelly502
    filmom2ethan

Comment by filmom2ethan (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The landlord may have washable filters.
    You just take them in the backyard & wash them & let them dry out.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Changing filters & cleaning vents are totally different. Yes, the vent system needs to be cleaned, but not terribly frequently - the people around here suggest twice a year if you have central air (before you turn the furnace on for the first time, and before you turn the a/c on for the first time), once if you don't (before turning the furnace on in the fall). The kind of cleaning I'm talking about needs to be done by professionals, it's more than just vacuuming off the front of the vent cage.
    Anonymous

• We were just talking about this the other day, we need to have someone in to clean ours.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2011