How can I keep my bathroom washcloths looking clean?

I launder my wash cloths after one use on the hottest wash cycle with detergent PLUS liquid bleach. My washcloths look like cleaning rags, there are darkened center areas that do not come clean? I am not a fan of dark towels/washcloths because I like to use liquid bleach to clean and sanitize the bath towel loads. Thanks for any insight!

pilolls

Asked by pilolls at 10:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Well, I was gonna say use chlorine bleach if they're white, but if you're doing that, then I have no idea...Maybe try soaking them for a little bit?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Why don't you try Oxiclean. Put your towels in the wash with a scoop of oxiclean and use the soak option. Once that cycle is finished, then you can wash you towels. I use oxiclean on everything and it doesn't contain bleach. It keeps everything softer and brighter. THe whites come out really white. Hope it works for you.
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 11:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You could try soaking the cloths in a hot strong bleach solution in the sink. Then rinse several times to remove as much of the bleach as you can, then run a full laundry of stuff that it doesn't matter if it gets bleached. Then I would run a second laundry. I suggest the hand rinsing and the laundries after ruining some clothes. I'd done the strong bleach soaking thing in my washer, emptied and ran a rinse, then washed a load of laundry. I won't do that again.

Answer by Bmat at 11:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• cont'd. (run a laundry without being very sure all the bleach is out of the machine, by the way, not run a laundry) It occurred to me that my washcloths get black areas on them when the cloths are worn out. If your cloths are a year or a couple of years old, maybe they aren't going to come cleaner and all you can do is to replace them?

Answer by Bmat at 12:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Pre-soak them if they're really soiled. I use a little of my dishwasher detergent and some baking soda along with the bleach. Make sure you let everything dissolve before adding the laundry and agitate the washer a little to mix the bleach in well.
    GardenPrincess

Answer by GardenPrincess at 2:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008