Should we change the 14th ammendment from automatic citizenship at birth in this country TO you need to have at least on parent who is a legal resident or citizen of the country in order to be a citizen?

the anchor baby situation would not go over well in a lot of other countries but for some reason a lot of people tend to get away with it in the USA.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• yes i think we should because people illegally cross the border everyday have a child and get to stay because their child is leagally a citizen its just not fair to all other americans
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 11:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes, it should be changed
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would agree it's time to make some changes, and this would be a good place to start.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• At first, I was gonna say it should stay. But...I think it should be changed. What if both parents are illegal, and get deported? Where would the kid(s) go???

***
    The children are not the property of the United States! They can go with their parents back to their home country. Upon turning the age of majority, they are certainly welcome (assuming they haven't reneged their US citizenship) to come back. And in that time, the parents can pursue LEGAL US citizenship!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes. Other countries dont have that law at all.. One of your parents needs to be a citizen, or on y birth certificate it says "place of birth" and "citizenship status". I think the anchor baby thing was the dumbest thing i have ever heard.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• YES!! This law was written under very different circumstances and during an era many would like to forget/get past.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• DH and I were just having this discussion, too. I agree that there should be something like that. I can't believe we allow anchor babies, but then, the 14th amendment was written before we were in the situation we're in now. Frankly, I think there needs to be some revamping of the constitution and amendments, as many of them are outdated, protect slavery, and cater to the rich white men who were writing them. JMO
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i think its a good idea.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 8:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm all for it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011