Bottle feeding a 1 week old puppy

I have to bottle feed my dogs puppy and he won't take the bottle. It's been since about noon and it's now almost 7. I've been trying every 30 mins or so, making sure the bottle is room temp. And everything. Any tips on how to get the little guy to eat? When the vet calls tomorrow morning about his mama, I'm going to ask if he isn't eating, but I'm worried about him not eating all night.....

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 6:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Pets

• you can try slowly syringe feeding him if he won't take the nipple. The nipple may be to big or to small, the flow may be to slow... there are any number of reason why he won't latch...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Maybe you could try to gently squeeze the nipple while massaging his little mouth open just enough so he can get a little nourishment until the vet calls.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Syringe it in. When his belly starts to feel a little firmer, he's full. Thats how I fed the kitten we found with its eyes closed 8 years ago. He's now a fat sassy 8 yr old cat.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 6:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Do you have any vets that would be open over the weekend in your area? If you do I would call them and see if they would give you a few needless syringes. Some petstores may sells some as well. But I have found that using syringes are better to using when bottle raising puppies or kittens.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Use a syringe ~ as mentioned ~ a few drops at a time. Add a few drops of karo to the formula until he is eating readily on his own again. At this point he's already seriously dehydrated, so you might want to cut the formula half and half with plain pedialyte as well. Forcing the formula before he's rehydrated will actually weaken him because it takes energy to digest.

If it were me, I'd have already started subq fluids to keep him hydrated ... but that's something I know how to do. For now, try to get a half teaspoon or so of watered down formula into him ever 20 minutes or so until he starts to perk up a bit .. and if you can, call the vet tonight. He may be willing to get some fluids into the pup for you, as well as show you how (it isn't difficult, just kind of scary the first few times). Good luck!!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• He has to eat-you cannot wait. Use a syringe if necessary. I had to do this once with a litter of puppies because the mama was sick. You HAVE TO massage their butts etc. with a warm wet washcloth simulating mom's toungue to get them to go potty afterward. If you don't do this they can back up and you can lose the puppy quickly.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• yes use a syringe & dont forget after feedings you need to tak a warm cloth & wipe their you know whats so the can pee & poop.. idk why but thats what the vet told us when my SM shit zu's were born
    masonbunch

Answer by masonbunch at 2:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• use a syringe or dropper he will come around goo luck
    AmandaV.

Answer by AmandaV. at 3:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2011