17 yr oldSmoking

My 16 yr old son smokes and I can't stop him I told him no smoking at home or in the house. I told him I didn't approve and wont buy them for him, his is almost 17 and of course monkey see monkey do. all his friends do it so he started.
How do you get him to stop or discourage it.

dusty1962

Asked by dusty1962 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You guys all act like a 17 yr old is thinking they are not invincible. They think nothing can touch them and UNLESS they have been personally affected by the loss of a loved one they do not care about the risks of lung cancer, asthma, copd or anything else. And beat his ass? You do know at 17 they can call the police and you will be arrested for assault? 17 is near the age to be an adult, acting like a child and having a fit is no way to get through to a teenager. You can to be consistent, persistent, and keep telling them how you feel and hope like hell they learn on their own what not to do in life.
    Anonymous

• I smoke at that age and there was nothing my parents could do to stop me. My mom smoked though and lectured without being a hypocrit. Maybe download some nasty pics of lung cancer and such? I would poss encourage him to try the electronic cigs. They are tobacco free and smoke free. They also contain thousands less carcinagens(sp??). Just keep up with what youre doing as far as not smoking in the house goes. Also tell him that you NEVER want to see him smoke around you OR your family. If he is socially smoking then it MAY not last. I know I smoked a lot less when my parents didnt know. And as you said....dont buy them. Make it hard for him. GL!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Every time he walks in the door smelling like cigarette smoke make him wash everything he's wearing & shower immediately. Tell him you don't want your home smelling like cigarette smoke, so he has to wash before he sits on any furniture. He may get tired of it.

We have lost 4 people in the last 2 yrs. My father in law, & 3 male friends ages 52, 54 & 55 at the time of their deaths. All much too young to die, & because of cigarette smoking they couldn't even get life insurance policies that left their families with very much. It's a horrible way to die, and very bad for those who have to watch...then be left behind. My best friend lost her husband just 8 weeks ago to kidney cancer that spread through his spine & to his brain...caused by smoking. Another lifelong friend lost her husband to lung cancer 2 ys ago....& she still can't quit smoking. Just keep trying. You can't really stop him, but you can make really hard on him.
    GL
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• all you can do is keep encouraging him not to do it and hope that eventually he makes the decision on his own. i started smoking when i was 16 and quit when i was 23. 17 is very nearly adult, and while you absolutely shouldn't encourage it or tolerate it in your home, he's going to start making some unpopular decisions that you wish you could un-make for him. just keep encouraging him to make better choices.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 7:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• good luck
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Just the way you are. At that age it is alot harder to stop them when they want to. If he doesnt have any money though I dont see how he could afford them.

Answer by gemgem at 7:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Friends share everything and he does chores and babysits....I won't give him money for cigs and I put money in his school account for his lunch.
    dusty1962

Comment by dusty1962 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• smoked**
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If it was my son he would get his ass beat, 16 or not. My kids have seen what lung cancer does and know that smoking causes it. When my aunt was dying of cancer from smoking herself to death, my sons were right there watching it.

He wouldnt be spending time with those friends even if that ment not going anywhere.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011