IEP/School Responsibilities

DD is 5 and has been in pre-school since 3 getting speech therapy through the school (cannot do private b/c insurance will not pay). Although she's improved quite a bit, she's going to be in Kindergarten next year and many people can still not understand her. So late last year I requested to the therapist that she get more speech therapy...which she got an extra hour a week -- a half hour with just her and a half hour with two other children.

And because she has an IEP, she is in the pre-school class for younger children and children with disabilities. Although both pre-school classes prepare for Kindergarten, the class that DD was in was not doing as much for her as the other one could. So earlier this year I asked that she be moved to the other class since her only disability is speech and the other teacher can reinforce that...which she is now spending the learning part of the day with the other class while staying in her original class for play and snack.

My point is...although I feel it should be obvious to everyone (teacher, therapist, etc.) that these things needed to be done for my child, nothing was done until *I* took the initiative to make the phone calls.

DD is my one and only so this is all pretty new to me. Is this normally how it is in public schools? I always planned to be a part of her school, but am I really going to have to watch for the bigger and better for DD since no one else will or even say anything if they know about it? Is it wrong of me to expect the teachers to take their own initiatives in things like this?

All I can do is sit here and wonder what else can be done for my daughter that I don't know about and the people who are educated and trained to help my child and should readily say "this would be better for her" sits back on their butts just hoping they can get through the school year without me figuring it out! :-/

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 7:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a former teacher, I find it difficult to believe that any teacher hopes parents won't figure things out. My DD also has a disability and it has taken me 5yrs to get a 504 plan for her because she has good grades and her discipline issues were improving. Finally, we landed a teacher that told the school psychologist, "If we don't take care of this now, we'll lose her." I'm glad that you advocate for your DD not all parents are involved in their childrens' education. Other things you can do are research techniques that help and make suggestions to teachers, use email to communicate and find out how things are working (good teachers love positive parental involvement). Finally, if it is a physical disability there are ADA advocates that work on a sliding scale, as well as, advocates that specialize in learning disabilities
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• you have to pay attention whats going on and push for what you want , ask for evals to be done , if you havent already , some staff will take the time to do something and tell you what she may need to help her with whatever and most wont , educate yourself on things , my kid needed hearing aids and a autism eval that no one did any suggestions about these issues i requested them and he was found to be autistic and need hearing aids , so you arent allways made aware of what your kid needs.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am not having much faith in the public school systems nowadays. I have had multiple problems with them that didn't get taken care of until I constantly was on them about it and those were safety issues! I think that if they complied with your request the first time you asked then you are very lucky and I am glad that she is getting what she needs now. There isn't much you can do about her teachers taking initiative. They have a lot of children to look after and sometimes things that don't stick out like the plague are ignored. You can always help her after school and during the summer. A certified teacher isn't the only person who can teach your child.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 7:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have a child in Kindergarten and I didnt like his report card so I contacted the teacher.2 1/2 weeks later I got a reply he was in danger of failing. so I then had a IEP to get him approved for speech in the school system and after I left that Iep I didint feel better so I got an advocate adn now as soon as I have a concern I email them and they get right back to me. He also suffers with anxiety so he is now on a medication and I try to communicate with the teacher once a week.

This has been a horrible year for him and myself with him going to school. We would both cry when I drop him off and you shouldnt feel i that.
    I have been told if you dont advocate for your child no one will. The schools do little as possible.
    Good Luck
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes, I'm sorry to say this is how it's done.....I actually work in my daughter's school (not a teacher, but I'm there), and if I don't say stuff, things just go on as is.....I'm still FIGHTING on how I think my daughter is misdiagnosed.....She has ADD, but I also think there is a little bit of manic depression in there as well, but they just don't wait to hear or see that.....

You keep advocating for your daughter!!!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You need to take the initiative. You want what is best for your child so to ensure that happens it is up to you to be assertive or aggressive in getting everything you can for her. Teachers are overworked and are required and expected to do more and more every year to meet the never-ending and new government, state, and local regulations. Walk in their shoes thru just one IEP process and your opinion about them sitting on their butts will change. I hope your daughter continues to receive all the hellp she needs.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Honestly you know your DD best - you should continue to advocate for her - not all schools are equal - esp in the way they treat children with special needs - certain programs are just much better run than others. if you doubt the school - maybe switch her before the next year if you werent going to already.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes, sweetheart you're going to have to be the one that gets the ball to rolling for a lot of things with concerns of daugher and her education. Believe me, I speak what I know because my son's been in the public school system for the past three years and I've been the one that has had to light a fire under the folk at my son's school.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I often assist parents in IEP understanding, hook them up with advocacy groups, and groups specializing in educational advocasy for IEP's. Needless to say some schools in my area are not a fan of me when they here a child sees me privately. It is a lot of work. Get nolo's guide to IEP's and special education. Boring but helpful. Also you can do this. It is frustrating but you are her cheer leader. I personally drove straight all that crap chose private school, had my son's speech and OT team bill his dx under a different code to get it covered....went around the system. In my child's school every child has an individual learning plan. When my child was first starting and ASL was his primary - they hired an ASL instructor to teach kids and the teachers. Private has it's privledges. We make our own team of professionals and my son does better than peers in public - no frustartion is my goal.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2011