How old was your youngest LO when you first got a pet?

Our DD is 6 months right now, and DH has another daughter who is 14 months. He told me today he wants a cat, and I do too (I've always had cats). I told him I want to wait until our DD is at least a year old...what about you ladies? How young is old enough?

JustCantWait88

Asked by JustCantWait88 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Pets

• We already had cats when the children were born so they grew up with each other . No problem at all when they were babies but they learned the hard way when they were toddlers that cats are not to be molested . Now the girls are older they are like the Ancient Egyptians - Cat Worshippers !
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We had a dog since before we had kids, and also had a cat before we had our son. But once our cat died, we waited until our ds was a little over 2 and our dd was almost 1 before getting another cat. ( our dog is an outside dog)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think it depends on the pet, and the kids. Because of our living arrangements the first couple years (living with parents and househunting) we waited until we owned a home and got our first puppy, DD was almost 3. It was a bit of a tough adjustment for her when we had to take the puppy outside to do his business, sometimes she didn't want us to especially if it was only one parent at home or she was tired.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 7:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We had our pets before DD and we still have them after (well, except the ones that have since died....:-( ).

But to get a pet after not having any is a tricky thing that depends mostly on the children. Babies tend to grab and pull and pick up wrong. You get a kitten or adult cat with front claws and you are going to have very scratched up babies. Personally, I would wait until they are 2-3 years old because that's when they would more understand if they pull kitty's tail, kitty may turn around and scratch their hand.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My daughter was born into a home that already had pets(3 cats and 1 dog at the time).
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Honestly, I think it's silly to wait. The sooner you introduce her to pets of her own, how to handle them, etc. the better off she will be. If you explain to her she cannot pull on tails, grab ears, etc. and tell her to be easy she will. If you get a middle aged cat (around 3 years old is what I would recommend, mature and box trained) who is good with kids, your kids will be good with the cat. We had two cats, who I had had for 2 years before my husband and I met, a little over 3 and a half years when our son was born. My female cat is very shy, and doesn't stick around long enough for my son to touch her. She's ok with that though, and is good about finding a safe place away from him. My son, now 3, adores my male cat. Both cats have been fixed since they were 6mos old. My male cat will rub against him, headbutt, and let him pull on his tail gently. When he tires of it, he gets up and goes and ds knows not to chase.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We had our 2 dogs before DD was born. They were our first "babies."
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We have four and our oldest was 41/2 when our 2nd was born. We got him a dog at 3. We have had a dog 'outside' from then until now. I have never had a problem. My 9 mo. old will even get to pet the dog. I hold him towards his middle while he pets him. and it makes him smile. A inside dog I would think may be different. You don't want them to jump on the baby.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My grandparents have my old cats, and my daughter has touched them a few times (again, she's still very young). I'm just worried about dander and scratches, which is why I told DH not right now...we can't have any in our place anyway. But I eventually want a cat and indoor/outdoor dog.
    JustCantWait88

Comment by JustCantWait88 (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Whe my oldest was 10 months old we got a dog and then we got a cat when she was about a year old. We have had the same dog dog (6 years now) so my youngest was born when we had t dog. We don't have the same cat though we got a new cat when I was pregnant with my youngest. I am pregnant with our 3rd now so we will have the same cat and dog when she is born
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011