When will I know my child is ready to stop eating baby food?

My daughter is 16 months old and we recently decided to try some new flavors in her baby food, naturally she doesn't like most of them because they are new, but now she's to the point where she just refuses to eat. I'm worried she's not going to get enough sustinance, and she doesn't really have a lot of teeth to chew the harder stuff that we eat, and I can't exactly make macaroni and cheese every night for dinner. She still likes the same vegetables she's used to eating, but the spagetti and stuff like that, she just won't. But she'll eat the spagetti we eat... it's technically the same thing. Please help! This is my first child and I'm kind of at a loss... I'm not sure what to do!

tbrosnan

Asked by tbrosnan at 7:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• She is old enough to be eating all sorts of table foods. Grilled cheese, any soft fruit, even grapes if cut in three pieces to start, eggs, toast, yogurt, oatmeal, pasta, soft veggies, etc. Offer her any soft foods/table foods that you eat and let her explore them and tatse them. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• She's old enough to start eating table foods.

Soft fruits and vegatables
    Speghetti
    Mac and Cheese
    Peanut Butter and Jelly
    Other soft pasta dishes
    Oatmeal
    Yogurt
    Toast
    Grilled Cheese
    Cheese Quesadilla
    Peanut butter on a tortilla
    Eggs
    Rice

Anything that's easily mashed in her mouth. You can even start her on using children utensils if you would like to. She can eat any foods that are soft and easily chewed that you eat. It's important for her as she's crossed over into a toddler that she gets table foods. They contain more natural vitimins and minerals that are important for her growth.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• 16 months is plenty old for regular food. My kids didn't eat baby food past 10 months. I never made mac & cheese either.
    Anonymous

• Yea 16 months is old enough for table food.. Give her a try.. she may surprise you!!
    MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 7:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes she is old enough. Just give her lots of options of what you eat and just cut up small enough that she can chew. Remember baby food is 50% water. So don't worry if it seems she is not eating as much in volume. Another thing I did was give them some baby food and some table food and gradual wean the baby food. Best of luck!
    jdct

Answer by jdct at 3:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2011