Too Old For A Crib

When do you think its too old to have a child in a crib?

Me personally at 2 they should be in a toddler bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took mine at at 2, but if they are trying to climb out before then or have it's time to get out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• "I took mine out 2, but if they are trying to climb out before then or have it's time to get out"

I agree. Mine tried to climb out b4 2 so they got moved thn. I've seen so many 3yr olds in Cribs though so I asked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• well my son had no choice but to get into a toddler bed at 17 months, cuz his sister was born. he never really started to climb out of his crib, he liked it. once, during the transition, he was trying to climb into the crib, cuz he prefered it. lol. it was easier than i thought transitioning him though.

I used to think it was the age of 2, and i still do. i just hope i keep up with that, cuz my DD is my youngest, and we're not having another, so i've been catching myself babying her more than i did my son...sad i know, but some of you moms understand!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I'd say generally speaking, 2. But I also think it depends on the child. My older children were out around then, but my youngest is two months past his second birthday and nowhere near ready to be out! He doesn't try to climb out (weird, I know, but he just hollers until I get him out), and he's into EVERYTHING, so I'm not pushing it. He's happy in there, and I know he's safe, so he can stay put for now. Of course the answer is whenever they start climbing out, or are too heavy or tall for it, which usually happens around then, but...
    crazywith4

Answer by crazywith4 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I took my daughter out at at twelve months and it has been great when when it is naptime or bedtime we walk in her room she gets in her bed I give her a kiss and she goes to sleep. I have also found her putting herself to sleep when she gets tired
    EmmieandMom

Answer by EmmieandMom at 2:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• According to what I've read, as long as a child transitions to a bed by age 4, it's ok to keep him/her in a crib as long as he/she still fits and is sleeping well.

That said, if a child is around age 2 and is asking to sleep in a big bed there's no harm trying to transition.

My twins are two and still sleep in cribs. They both still fit in their cribs, sleep well in their cribs, and have not climbed out nor have they asked for a big bed. I'm hoping to transition them next spring/summer.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my son climbed out at 1 but i still left him in crib until he was 2 with the fear of him falling out of bed. but he is fine in his toddler bed now.
    sae931

Answer by sae931 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son is 2 years and (almost) 2 months. He is still in a crib and will stay that way as long as possible. It isnt hurting him. He isn't any less of a 'big boy' and even if he was, the only way he would know is if I told him. I have seen way to many people move thier kids so they could be 'big kids' then they fight getting them to bed, or staying in bed, or whatever. SO, I have chosen to keep my son in his crib until A. He consistently is climbing out (he has done so...3 times maybe, the last being MONTHS ago) B. is having problems Potty training at night because he can't get out (which isnt an issue right now, because he isn't day trained yet). C. understands that when it's bedtime he needs to stay in bed (which right now, he tries several times to stay up-- if he was not in a crib, these would be times he would come out of his room...which would just be stupid on my part).
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 5:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2008