What are you doing to educate yourself towards the beliefs of others?

Assuming of course that you're doing anything...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you mean religiously, I read a lot of different books about different faiths as a child. I believe it gave me a great foundation for making the decision to follow the faith I follow now, which is technically altruistic, I think, but really just an eclectic collection of various faiths. I believe in a higher power of some sort, but I don't give it a name...could be God, could be Goddess, it's name doesn't matter. What matters is that it's there. The part of faith that I find most important is the morals it instills in a person. I like to think I'm a decent person, I help my fellow person when they're in need, give when I'm able, appreciate what I'm given (and I am very blessed with a beautiful son who is about to become a big brother). When I have a question about another's faith, I ask, and give them an out. Usually say "Hey I was wondering why, or what, who........if you don't mind could you explain it to me?"
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• For years I've been interested in all religions and have studied a few and had hands on expeirences on others. Being raised Methodist on dads side and Atheist on moms side I've always had questions. I love learning how other religions operate and so far my conclusion is, it's ok to drink if you're a Catholic (in moderation of course), gambling is fine. Mormons, don't understand why you can't have caffiene so that rules me out, lol Buddhist seems very calming and peaceful, works for me :) Jehovas Witnesses do not belive in hanging our Great countrys flag and celebrating the 4th of July. I have too much military in my blood for that religion.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I love reading up on the history and love talking to others about what they believe. I think it is so important to educate yourself
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I took classes in college and bought other holy books. I share that information with my family.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• took mythology class in high scool, always hanging around the religious section on here, in a group that discusses it, read stuff online- yesterday I was reading about pentecostal and the different ones, and today read something about the reason for different denominations in Christianity, as a teen read a few books on satanism and pagans, and just had a book delivered the other day- by the Dalai Lama
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have in-depth talks to my friends who have different religious beliefs, so that I can understand their religion from their perspective. I was raised both Catholic and Jewish, so I got alot of education about those from my parents, who were very religious . . . . and my Church and Synagogue friends.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm constantly reading books on various religions, from general "World Religions" books to specific "Islam in the Modern World" types (just examples - Islam in the Modern World is one I just finished). I also have several different holy books (Gita, Quran, Tao, Analects, etc), most of which I have read. I'm always discussing different beliefs, and trying to clarify what I've read so as to be sure I understand it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh, and I have had a class in high school (was a world cultures class that he did as a world religions class) and one in college as well.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Well I used to study them in my free time. Lately though I haven't done much as I have other studies I am concerned about in order to get a degree in my desired career.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I know enough to be comfy with where Im at right now.

If I learn more its not because I go reading and such its cuz I listen to people who follow that belief system. Thats all Im doing at this point to know more.

My spiritual focus, at present time, is to grow within myself and strengthen my own spiritual knowledge and inner divine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011