Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Will I be able to deposit this money order?

My son's dad recently starting sending a little bit of child support to help out. He sends a money order every few weeks. This time, only the 3rd one he has sent, he addressed the money order to just my 1st name. Not even my whole 1st name. Lets say my name is Jennifer Williams. He only addressed the money order to Jenn. No last name, no nothing. Will the fact that I've deposited other money orders from him with my whole name make a difference? Should I bring in the envelop in which the money order came that has my whole name to the bank also? I will make sure to tell him not to do that again, but in the mean time, I would like to deposit the money order.


Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Was it hand written? If so then you can probably write your name in as long as its in the same color. My mom sends me checks all the time with just my first name. I add my last, never had a problem.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • that will depend on the banks policy I would call them.

    Answer by spiralbelle19 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • There should be no problem depositing the money order.

    Answer by neubren3 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • It should be just like a check, people spell my name wrong all the time and it still gets deposited. Can you just fill in the blanks,I have done that too on a check.

    Answer by luvschocolate at 8:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • Just finish off your name on the money order. To the PPs, not everything goes through CSE and she doesn't HAVE to contact them.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • I agree, just fill in your full name. No need to go through CSE if he is actually paying. That can actually delay your payments. My husband pays his child support through direct deposit, doesn't go through CSE, and he's actually Court Ordered to pay it through money order, personal check, or allotment (direct deposit from his military paycheck). Child support doesn't HAVE to go through CSE.

    Answer by laird6372 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • why doesn't the money come through the local child support agency?

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • Just write in your last name, sign it and deposit it in your account. You also need to contact child support and have the child support send directly to a bank account through child support NOT a money order through your ex.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

  • When my son was born, we decided on no child support either way because he was spending equal time with both of us. When he was with us, we would provide what he needed. Only recently, he took on a new job that requires him to travel a lot so he's not home most of the time and our son has been with me and my husband more than him so he OFFERED to pay support. When it's a mutual amicable agreement like we have, we don't need to go to CSE. Not everyone has a dead beat baby daddy that needs a governmental agency to tell and watch them take care of their child.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2011