How to run a family with chronic illnesses.

I have gotten a lot of information and education on being a wife and a mother. I am living my dream, just by having those two roles. My problem is that I don't know how to keep it all together when I am so sick and one of my daughters off and on also. Are there any other mom's out there who have to deal with this? I have scoliosis (S-back), sleep apnea, insomnia, chronic pain syndrome and ADD, to mention some. My 7-year-old is healthy most of the time but is lactoseintolerant and my 4-year-old is severly gluten intolerant. That also comes with a weakend immune system so she gets very sick just from a common cold + asthma with that. My husband is very healthy and he does a ton at home. I can't afford housecleaning or physical therapy any more. I feel so bad about that my family has to suffer because there is so much I can't do. The inconsistency in my mothering has done so much damage to all of us.

MammaHoney

Asked by MammaHoney at 11:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Health

• I know how you feel. I have diabetes, asthma, sleep apnea, chronic pain & arthritis in my back and neck, trigeminal neuralgia, depression, PTSD, severe anxiety, RLS. My oldest DD has epilepsy and bi-polar and severe anxiety. She has up to 75 seizures per day. My youngest DD has epilepsy and stops breathing and turns blue and needs to be resucitated when she has seizures. So, I know how you feel!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Sort out your problems? Most of what you have said can be sorted out. I know this from experience...including asthma, which I just managed to completely eradicate. Its whether ylou want to settle and suffer as a result or move forward.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I agree, you have to decide just to buck up and deal with it. Every family has problems, but its only the ones who make the conscious decision to move past their problems and lead full lives that are truly happy. Your problems seem bad, but at least you aren't homeless, or have a spouse in jail, or anything like that. Health problems are manageable, as long as you keep on top of things. Lactose intolerance is not a very big deal, and the other problems you mentioned may be serious but are not life-threatening (usually), so if I were you I would stop focusing so much on the problems and start focusing on what makes your life and family GOOD, because that is the place to start. Also, having a positive outlook can definitely help eradicate many of the problems you mentioned, like chronic pain and insomnia. If you choose to focus on problems, you just make the problems worse in the long run...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008