How do you think a female child will be affected if her mother abandoned her at 2 months old and never contacted her,but the mom lived in the same state? the daughter is now a preteen and knows the story.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• My bio dad abandoned me when I was born and he lived two towns away with his new wife and 3 kids my entire life. As an adult I decided to meet my Siblings and they welcomed me with open arms, but when my bio dad messaged me on facebook saying he heard about me meeting them he was a total jerk. He never changed and I'm glad I never had him in my life. I hope this preteen has people in her life that make her feel so wanted that she doesn't ever feel the need to seek out a connection with her bio mom.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 8:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think she'd be hurt, and angry and wonder how her mom could've been so close but couldn't be there for her.... just my thoughts on how someone would feel, but then she'd have to look at reasons that her mother wasn't part of her life it may have been the best thing for both of them even first it's really hard to understand.
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 9:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Honestly, it sounds like a mess. I think that would be a nearly impossible situation for a child that age. I grew up without a mother, and I can't really express how painful that was. If a child had grown up with that pain, only to find out it was avoidable, I imagine it would be just about impossible to forgive, at least at first. I would hope that in time, both parties could heal, and potentially reconcile, but that would take a lot of effort on both sides.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Not nessecarily a bad thing. Plenty of children have had their parents relinquish them and don't have a ton of issues. I'm not saying it's not challenging. I'm just saying that from experience, I notice the adults seem to project THEIR feelings and issues onto the situation of the child, and focusing on the abandonment that could make the issue much worse than it needs to be.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011