Swimming?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips to share.... My son is almost 4 and has a terrible fit when we get in our pool.... but loves the bath tub and would stay in there all day... we have all sorts of toys, etc for the pool and I'm fairly sure its just because its a lot of water... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you have any tips to share. Thanks!

2AwesomeKiddos

Asked by 2AwesomeKiddos at 8:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe try a life jacket? My 4 year old is a fish, and swims all over my friend's pool, my mom's pool, etc. as long as she has her life jacket on. Which makes it nice for me, because she's not hanging on me, and I can swim too.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• you may want to put some toys in the pool for him... my son is 2 and i've been taking him in good size pools since before he was 1, at first he doesn't like it cause it's a little to cold then he gets use to it... this year i'm taking him to my SIL house cause they have a pool... and it will be great for me to really start teaching him how to swim.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My son is 3 and the same way. He even loves the ocean, but hates the pool when his feet can't touch. He started swimming lessons Friday. He has had 2 lessons and today was a lot better than yesterday. I can't wait to see how tomorrow goes.

We tried toys, arm floats, rings, inflatable boats, life jackets, noodles, and anything else we could find nothing worked. He hated it if no one was holding him. Today I watched my baby hold noodle thing and kick himself around the pool. He was so excited and telling everyone he swam by himself. Maybe lessons would help your child, also. We tried to teach him, but it wasn't working.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• my son was the same way we tried pushing him and it scared him more... i would let him get comfortable on his own terms
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011