To Clarify

My husband wants me to leave my church. But here is some more background on the situation. My husband is a minister of the church. My mom is the pastor (his mil) and my dad is the overseer (his fil). Since we have been together, before marriage, everyone was somewhat against it. My family (also attending the same church) tried to make me feel like me loving him and wanting to spend a lot of time with him was wrong. I wanted to be with him but everyone felt like I was wrong for that (including my mother). We elloped and got married. I thought that would fix everything. But it didn't. He feels like my family is controlling and they alienate him. He didn't feel that way before we got married but he feels like to them our marriage is an offense. He feels I only want to stay because of my mom.

ylonda

Asked by ylonda at 11:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• Sounds very frustrating. Maybe you and hubby can find a different church to attend. Although your family is very involved with the one you currently attend, they're not the only one in town. (Are they?) You may find it refreshing to not be related to those who run the church.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I bet that your situation is a little uncomfortable. I can imagine how difficult it might be for your husband who is working so closely with your parents. You know, family shouldn't really be in business together, especially when its in-laws. Maybe the better idea is that your husband finds another church to be minister at and the two of you go do your own thing, separate from your parents.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008