Chores

Am i wrong or right on this, when u make your child a chore chart and stick with it, should it not be our chores too?
I recently made a chore chart for my 3 year old son, which he has to help me dust, put his shoes and jacket where they belong, help me put away his clothes, and put his own dirty clothes down the laundry shoot. well my husband said the first time i gave my son these chores well i will leave my dirty clothes and have haiden(our son) put them in the shoot since it is his chore. I told him no just his clothes.
But also doesn't this mean when i put his clean shirts on our spare room folded that he can leave it there for weeks until i put them away, but our son has to do his own clothes and i get to do mine too.
Last time i checked we should be role models for our kids, if it is a chore for them, it should be a chore for every one. Am i wrong on this

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think your DH is being a butthead. You are absolutely right. At that age he should be learning to be more independent in taking care of HIS things. When he gets older then you can give your son a household chore. I don't think anyone should be picking up your DH's dirty laundry and putting away his clean laundry other than him and you..
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 9:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Please don't get mad, but I think your DH is being lazy expecting you and your toddler to do everything for him. A toddler should only be responsible for him/herself, not the parent.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• To Laird6372- I am not mad, he gets home takes his work clothes off and leave it on the floor. I may be guilty of leaving stuff on the floor too, but i will pick it up before the end of the day. The reason i don't get to my mess is because someone needs me and i forget to do it until later. but i also don't expect my 3 year old son to pick up mine unless he asks me and says mommy is this dirty, if i say yes he will then put it way for me, but then he gets an extra sticker on his chart.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I've been married for over 11 years and my husband is 34. The kids are 10, 9, 8 and 5 and they do a ton more chores than he does. he yells at them about leaving their dirty clothes on the floor then will walk into our room, strip out of his work clothes and just leave them where he changed even though the laundry basket is literally a foot away. It's so freaking annoying. I got sick of it and refused to wash any laundry that wasn't in the laundry basket. For 6 months his clothes just piled up in the corner of our room. They smelled horrible. When he ran out of clean clothes he just rewore the dirty ones or washed 2-3 uniforms for work, leaving the rest. Eventually I had to wash them because it smelled so gross in there (it was a tiny room, too, and the clothes covered half the floor after awhile). The kids don't understand why they have to clean up their messes when Daddy gets to throw his clothes every where.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I divvied out chores to my DH. lol. He used to leave his mess everywhere, and then it was up to me to clean up after him, and me, and the pets, and the kids (until they were old enough to do their own). I stopped doing stuff for him, and I made sure the kids didn't either (though occassionally when I wasn't looking they would clean his stuff... My son has a thing about stuff being a certain way). Eventually, when he had no clean clothes, no clean dishes (I cleaned the kids' stuff and got paper stuff for me. lol), etc, he started helping around the house-his laundry got put in the hamper, his dishes were put in the sink, and he even started cleaning without my asking :)
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2011