Unemployment question...?

I filed for unemployment and I got a letter a few days after telling me my benefits and how much I would get weekly. They also sent me the debit card and a paper asking about how much I wanted to take out for taxes. They said to file a weekly claim. I went on the website and my claim says Regular Active claim, then it says Active issues : yes. I am confused, I never got anything telling me I had been approved or denied, but I would assume if I were denied they wouldn't send me a card? Anyone else have this happen or do you know what it mean? I am really stressing about it because I am relying on this money to pay an upcoming power bill :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• I've received unemployment before and you do get all of those instruction before you find out if you've been approved or not. You still need to file the claims in the mean time, but I thought they were bi-weekly.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• In my state of SC. We file a weekly claim. You can either do it on the computer or on the phone. If you are unsure, call your local office and ask, also ask how often you have to file.. PP did theirs bi-weekly, ours is weekly so you need to find out for sure. Each state runs its offices a little different so calling them would give you the best most accurate info..

Also ask when you should expect your first check. Here it is about 4-6 weeks after filing for the first time. If you are fired in SC it can take longer than 10 weeks depending on why.. Also the employer can fight a claim here..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• my fiances are weekly (NY)

you can always call and ask!!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You need to call, or go into, your local office.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• What state are you in? It works differently in each state. You need to call your UE office. Usually you have to certify for benefits every 2 weeks, to get paid.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Oh my, they issue a credit card for unemployment now? And they take taxes from that.? How is PERSON SUPPOSE TO LIVE??? Thank god they did approve extensions. I am still employed barely 40 down to 35 hours.
    AMMA554

Answer by AMMA554 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2011