How can i help my little sister?

My little sister has a 6 yr old son. The father married someone else and the stepmother is jealouse of my little sis because my little sis is th real mother and she isnt so the stepmother put my little sis son on her medicade and the stepmother filed for child support on my sis and she has to pay the stepmother 50 dollars a month. my sis has a lawyer and he said he cant do anything about it until the stepmother takes my sister's son off her medicade. i dont think that is right that the stepmother can file for child support when she is not the real mother. what can my little sis do to fix all this? she wants to get full custody but her lawyer says she has to wait until the stepmother takes my sister's son off her medicade. Can a stepmother do that? I need help to be able to help my little sis deal with the situation.

Amanda2634

Asked by Amanda2634 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Step parents cannot file for child support. Does the step mom have custody for some reason?
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Was the child uninsured? Usually it is ordered that the father has to provide insurance for the child, but if he doesn't it is the custodial parent who can file for public assistance and medicaid for the child. Does your sister have custody? If so, she needs to apply for medicaid for the child. If the father and stepmother have applied unlawfully, it should be taken care of. If they have custody, then the state will make the person applying for public assistance on a child pursue child support to help them get off public assistance. The state is interested in making sure that everyone responsible for the child is contributing as a way to get them off the dole, kwim?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• What does her ex say??? He should see how wrong his new wife is.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• As far as I know, a parent cannot file for child support unless they have full custody, and even so, if the child's dad had custody, it would be the DAD who filed for child support, not the step mom. Who has custody of the child?
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'd call Medicaid & tell them what she did to put investigation on her Medicaid case. No, she cannot do that! You have his birth certificate that you are mother.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 10:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Ummm, you realize it's not just the step-mom, right? The dad is letting this all go on. What's wrong with your sister? Did something happen that they're trying to take the girl away?

Your sister wouldn't be paying the step-mom...she'd be paying the father...and since they're married, really she's paying both of them for the care of the little girl.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• haveyour sis file for medicaid also. then child support will start paying attention. does your sis have full custody if so step mom is breaking the law
    opinionatedmom

Answer by opinionatedmom at 1:28 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• she has a fucked up lawyer. tell her to find someone else. and no stepmother can file for child support if your sister has full custody of her own child. and she should threaten the stupid ass bitch about that. call medicaid and child support agency and let them know that the other woman(stepmother) doesn't have custody how can they put that agreement thru the courts.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I like all of ya'll's answers. thanks for them. There is no custody of the child. The father dont have custody and my sis dont. they share him. The father of my nephew said its all the step mother's doing he did not want to take child support on my sis. She needs to get full custody. My nephew is 6 yrs old. My sister is a terrific mom. She works her ass off to support her kids and her self she is 23 and has 3 kids. She has passed out at work from working over time to much and she works 3rd shift. The father does not work. He hates the word job. The stepmother had put my sister's son on her medicade and she is the step mother she shouldnt have done that. She is jealouse that my nephew is not hers he is my sister's son. She has not been a step mother to my nephew all his life. When he was born the father was not hardly there for him my sister took care of her son by herself and then all this went down with the stepmother.
    Amanda2634

Comment by Amanda2634 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011