Am I a bad mom for not breastfeeding any more?

My son is 5 months old and I stopped nursing him about a month ago, and lately I have been feeling realy guilty for stopping. I honestly do miss breastfeeding, but we were having so many problems with it. He was never getting enough milk and I had to start supplementing with formula around 10 weeks. It seems like there is sooooo much breastfeeding pressure and it makes me feel like I am a bad mom for giving up on it. Is formula really that bad? We are using soy. And do you know if there is any difference in nutrients in regular cow milk base vs. soy base? Please help..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are a bad mom than I am horrible. I stop breastfeeding my oldest at 3 months and my youngest at 1 month. They both just weren't happy and both ended up on soy. I had much happier babies that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Answered at 10:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 by: Anonymous
    If you are a bad mom than I am horrible. I stop breastfeeding my oldest at 3 months and my youngest at 1 month. They both just weren't happy and both ended up on soy. I had much happier babies that way.

same here, only they didn't end up on soy. stopped my oldest because i had to have surgery, so i was on meds, stopped my youngest because i ran out of milk. did everything i could, and i never produced enough.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Your not a bad mom at all! I couldn't breastfeed my son past 9 weeks. I had to go back to work full time. Your an awesome mom no matter how long you breastfed. I loved breastfeeding and it hurt me when I had to stop too. It'll be okay. I just feed my son the regular GoodStart (orange can). He's 7 months old now and is growing like a weed and is healthy as a horse. Good Luck!!
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 12:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You're a wonderful mommy for even trying to bf! Breastfeeding was out of the question for me and not for any medical reasons. It was my choice and if anyone else was in my situation they probably would have done the same thing as me. It was hard for me to get past that guilty feeling but my son has been just fine on formula. He's been on soy and milk based formulas and did great on both. I would have preferred he was on the milk based stuff and not the soy since I don't think it's a good but we were desperate and tried everything before we found out what was really wrong with him.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 12:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Congradulations! You are being a wonderful mommy for figuring out what works for you, not someone one elses preconcieved notion of what should be. Breastfeeding is hard (I have been doing it for three months now) I didn't enjoy it ONE bit with my oldest and stopped when he was two months old and went on to Good Start (I really liked it, and he didn't seem to mind!). Maybe with the next one (if there's a next one) you will be able to breastfeed a little longer, atleast you gave it a good shot! It's better than not trying at all! :) I never knew that you could actually enjoy bf until my youngest son was born....if you need anything, pm me.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• No you are not a bad mommy, you are feeding your child and thats what matters, though remember ANY amount of breastmilk is better than none. Its never too late to go back to breastfeeding your giving your child BM. Many moms are given bad info as to supply and THINK or are TOLD that supply is low when its not, this leads to supplementing and then weaning to formula majority of the time. There are tons of ways to increase supply, BUT because doctors have NO BFing training they generally say to give formula and because moms trust them they don't ask the REAL person they should ask about BFing....as trained and certifed lactation consultant.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2008