NOT MY KID, SO NOT MY PROBLEM?

I know its not my kid but still. I was at the store today and me and my kids stayed in the car and waited for my dh to come out with ice cream. My 17 month old is sitting in his carseat, My other two kids are straped in with their seatbelts. While waiting on dh a young dad walks out of the store with his maybe 25 pound two or three year old. No carseat in his car(The car was right next to us) He puts his little guy(Suppose to be the love of his life) in the front seat and belts him in like hes 12. Idk Maybe its not my place but I told him that the fire department can help him with a brand new carseat. I felt for his little guy. Why would a parent put their child in danger like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Some people don't care about the rules regarding car seats & children, or they think that "it won't happen to me". While it obviously upset you about this situation, there is really nothing you can do other than perhaps reporting the situation to Children's Services. But you were also lucky I guess that this person didn't become violent towards you over what might have been construed as "butting in". Really, it is not your problem, but if anything would have happened to the child, you would feel worse for seeing it and not saying something. Perhaps you should write down the registration plate next time and report the issue.
    Twisties34

Answer by Twisties34 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think you did a good thing!!!
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 10:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think you could have been a little too much in someone elses car.  Stuff happens though and we're all nosy so okay, you seen it and said something.  What reaction were you looking for?  You basically just called him a bad parent, did you expect a thankyou?  I commend you for saying something but I can see why he wasn't too enthused.  Personally if I was having a nosy day and he told me to mind my own business I would have just called the police.  I would have been like "well, okay, the police will mind it for me". 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would have told him to go back into the store, buy himself an appropriate carseat for the child, or you would be calling the police. That isn't ignorance. Carseat safety is a given before you leave the hospital. They even send you home with diagrams and programs!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You did more than most people would have...good for you! Someone had to be this boy's voice!!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I completely agree with you! I have done the same before
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 11:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree I think you did the right thing too...That is Endangering the Welfare of a Child and uncalled for
    CHLOABUG126

Answer by CHLOABUG126 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You did right!
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 10:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oh, and I love how people load into a car and have 3-4 kids in the backseat or sitting on each others laps.
    I am talking 3-5 year olds. Um, hellooooooo...you live here, you need to follow the rules, you are NOT above them.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You did the right thing!! I have called the police before when I have seen people driving their LO's around with no car seat. I'm not sure what state laws say, but my eyes that is neglect because it's so unsafe.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2011