can your water break without contractions?

can your water leak without having really strong contractions soon after?

babyboy0708

Asked by babyboy0708 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 11:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Well, usually the bag of water cushions the baby's head against the pelvic bone so it doesn't hurt as bad. When the water breaks, it takes away the cushion which causes the contractions to feel more painful.

I think it's possible that your water can leak without the contractions hurting too bad...but if the water actually breaks, I think it usually starts to hurt some. I've heard of women's water leaking long before they gave birth. Try googling it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My water broke at 6 AM with my second son, and had no contractions. I actually smelled to make sure I hadn't peed. I took my shower, did my hair, etc, before going to the hospital I didn't have contractions till several hours after arriving and getting potossin, but my water DEFINATELY broke. :) Side note, if your water has broken you need to go to hospital or call your doctor asap, because once the water has broke your baby must be delivered that day.
    morthanjustamom

Answer by morthanjustamom at 11:33 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• With both my girls my water broke with out having any contractions. First time was just a trickle and I didn't know it was my water, I didn't get it checked till something like 18 hours later, they put me on antibiotics and iduced my labor. Second time I had a few contractions but they stopped during my shower, that time it was a constant flow of fluid and obvious that it was my water. You can tell often times if when you feel it leak and you do kegal excersizes that the flow does not stop. You can hold urine but not amniotic fluid. I had to be induced the second time as well.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 11:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Yes that's how Jada got here. I was mopping the floor lol I told you that though
    lovelily

Answer by lovelily at 12:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• your water broke lol
    titansfan

Answer by titansfan at 12:44 AM on Dec. 3, 2008