How can I increase my milk supply?

I feel like I am forcing drops! :( I wish I could make as much milk as my baby will drink, but the past couple days I haven't been able to produce half as much and I hate having to feed formula *tear* Everything [except Math] in life came so easily and this makes me feel like a complete failure :.( Why is something so important so vulnerable and difficult?!? Advice?

P.S. I have to pump and have been trying frantically and more often to no avail as well as eating oatmeal...

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 10:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I pumped every couple of hours and drank plenty of fluids to keep myself hydrated..I never had my children latch, so I always pumped.
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 10:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• fenegreek. its an herb that sometimes helps make more milk. you can buy it in tablet form at gnc.

if bfeeding doesnt workout that doesnt make you a failure. i have never heard of a baby dying from being formula fed.
    ;)

good luck
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Try increasing your fluid intake and relax. The extra worrying you are doing does not help with milk production. Remember that sometimes the body can not do everything we want it to. You are providing many immunities to your baby as well as bonding during your nursing time. So nurse and supplement when you have to and hold your head up high. Your baby is getting what she needs and she will be fine whether it is from breastmilk, formula, or both. Maybe just realizing this will take the pressure off you and your body will kick in. If it doesnt then look at it as an opportunity for her dad or other family members to also bond with her during feedings.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My baby's name is Eugene and yes he does do a great job of bonding with his father during feedings also, maybe more so which is great and rather cute since the resemblence is amazing between the two of them lol. I am trying to have the optimum diet for breastfeeding via the pump but it is so difficult and it hurts-is it worth it investing in an electric pump? I have a manual one, but it seems to be the most difficult thing to operate ever...and I feel exhausted and throbbing afterwards every time :( It seems that lanolin doesn't have much of an effect on frequently used areas :((( I will look into the fenugreek thanks for the affirmation that it's effective...looked up a health food store-hopefully they have it in tea version or something...I have enough pills with the vitamins and iron supplement, etc. and it is always fun to try a new food :) I really like all the health foods I have tried so far...I just don't understand..
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• why it abruptly declined....I have done all I can to hopefully produce a reasonable amount good diet, exercise, etc...the stress level I cannot help it has a way of finding me like it's always something life is complicated and fortified with irony and I think it's ridiculus how inopportunely the fates strike you with difficulties...my son is recovering from bacterial meningitis but his appetite has remained intact it just hurts me that I am not keeping up with him and struggle to even produce half as much :( I wish that not all body fuctions had to be absolutely dreadful for women...dealing with periods then pregnancy then childbirth but now I really am feeling nursing is the worst of it! Why does this of all things have to be so excruciatingly difficult?!
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• From a gal who has stressed about breast feading thru two babies...its tough. I have tried the fenegreek (which makes you smell like maple syrup) it may have helped alittle, I had to take like 9 of them a day. I took them for about 2 months after my last baby was born. My doctor also perscribe a medication that supposedly "helps", I pumped all day long....I felt like I was hooked up to something all day long! What things we put outselves thru ya know? The only advice I have is to keep trying, drink lots of water. They always say how much patience you have to have with it.
    I can be honest to say my son is on formula now...god just did not make my breast to be cut out for it. I was devastated at first about it with the first child...then realized its ok and I just needed to know it was stressing me out so much it was affecting the baby and milk anyways and it was not healthy milk.Its not the end of the world right?
    NewMomAt39

Answer by NewMomAt39 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Quote: Its not the end of the world right?

It feels like it's coming to be even making me seriously question whether or not to have any more and am pretty set on the 'not' but giving it five years-that's the time I would want in between kids anyways and have that many more 'ideal years.' Oh and you haven't met my parents chastize and ridicule!
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply problems:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Do you mind me asking why you can't physically nurse? If you're EPing, you absolutely need an electric pump, a manual will not cut it for exclusive pumping. If you can get baby to breast, nurse often, this will help your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Fox, if you are going to exclusively pump it MUST be a good double electric. There is no option there. We're talking Ameda Purely Yours or Medela "Style" models. Other pumps need not apply.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2011