Instead of griping on CM why not take it up with your state?

I was reading some answers to the food stamp question. Well in my state you have to provide a certified birth certificate and social security card in order to get any help. It cannot be photo copies either. So why not take it to your state, instead of griping about it?
btw this started just a year or so ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It's called identity theft. And it's a huge problem now. Don't just assume that everyone in your state on assistance is a legal resident.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Uh, I said no such thing, I was just pointing out that it is more difficult to scam the system here. If you want to believe that every mexican or other is stealing identities to get assistance then go ahead. Ridiculous

Anonymous

• I agree, we have to do all that too. It would be hard to scam the system... not saying it cant be done, but it would be hard
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• WHEN I RE CERTIFIED LAST WEEK I HAD TO SHOW THE FOLLOWING: (THIS IS FOR INDIANA) NORMALLY i RECERT EVERY OTHER MONTH.

BIRTH CERTIFICATES
    SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS
    IMMUNIZATION RECORDS FOR MY GIRLS
    MOST RECENT BANK STATEMENT (THE LADY GOES THROUGH AND QUESTIONS ME ABOUT WHAT'S ON IT)
    SOCIAL SECURITY AWARD LETTER
    PAYOFF AMOUNT ON THE CAR
    PRINTOUT OF CHILD SUPPORT RECEIVED (I DONT GET ANY COURT ORDERED SUPPORT)
    COPY OF UTILITY BILL
    LETTER STATING THAT THE FOOD I PREPARE IS SEPARATE FROM MY MOM

I used to show a current bank statement and utility bill when I recertified but now they want everything, which is okay, I can gather it up pretty easily. I talk to a state and then a fed worker who ask the same questions worded differently, probably just to see if you trip up and catch you in a lie.

Im happy to do all of it, because I have nothing to hide. I need help and Ill do what is necessary to pr
    lilmizmoore

Answer by lilmizmoore at 1:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• lilmizmoore that's needed here in Fl and NY as well. I think that most people are just sooooooo anti-immigrant that they just assumed that the ones getting help are illegal. I have seen this done to people I know and to myself as well. I was raised in NY and I'm a usa citizen but people have assumed that because I'm hispanic I'm an illegal immigrant. Unfortunately Hate and ignorance can be very powerful.

Liberal Car Magnet: Most Violent Element

ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 2:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• ny chica, that is so true. I think it is so sad that people judge on race and background than by true character.
    lilmizmoore

Answer by lilmizmoore at 2:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Ignorance is out there everywhere. There isn't a connection between being latino or a minority has to do at all with receiving food stamps and being lazy or an undocumented person. As lilmizmoore points out....you need a ton of documents. And it remains true that only U.S. citizens can receive assistance.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2008