My 3 1/2 year ols son has been potty trained for two months now, any advice on when I should stop putting a night time diaper on?

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 10:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If they can go two weeks straight waking up with a dry diaper you should be in the clear but put a plastic cover over the matress just in case:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I stopped when my kids stopped having accidents. Just make sure he doesn't have anything to drink within an hour or so of bedtime and that he goes potty right before. GL!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Whenever you're comfortable with it. I waited til they woke up dry every single day for a couple of months, then tried it. If they wet the bed more than 2 nights in a row, they went back into a pullup til they stayed dry again for a couple of weeks, then undies til they had multiple accidents again, if they did. None of them ever went back to pullups more than once before "getting it". But really it's based on you & your son - if you trust him and don't mind potentially washing his bedding daily, skip the diapers, if you don't want to potentially wash his bed frequently, keep him in diapers for a while.
    Anonymous

• I stopped with the diapers at night at age 3 at night..but keep them in training pants.at night.and regular undies during the day.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I went to walmart and had my son pick out "big boy" undies, and we also got him the rubber underpants to go over them so if he wet it wouldnt be all over the place... He might have accidents at first, but reasure him that its okay to have them, because he is still learning, make a game of going "potty" before bed too...
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 11:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• When both you and your child are ready. Every kid is so different and IMO the younger they train the longer they need them at night. My oldest is just under 3 1/2 and PT'd at 2. Only recently has he had more dry than wet morning. We've found that if we can keep him from drinking close to bedtime (not easy with him and I drink a ton of water so I'm not even slightly interested in telling him no to water if he wants is just to stay dry at night) and then taking him to the bathroom when my DH went to bed. So around 11 my husband picks him up and carries him to the bathroom. We were petrified to try it because he's a crappy sleeper but he really doesn't even wake up, he pees and back to bed it is. Then he's dry in the morning. If we both go to bed early we just slip a diaper on him. it's totally normal for kids to wet at night until the age of 5-7 because it's not something you can teach but it's purely a physical maturity
    Mrs.Ziggy

Answer by Mrs.Ziggy at 4:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My 3 year old (he's 3 and almost 3/4 lol) has been potty trained since Feb and we used a pull up for a week after. He has a two accidents, both were after he fell asleep in the car and we didn't take him potty.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• When he has a couple of weeks waking up dry!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2011