Remedys for motion sickness for toddlers.

I am planning to drive to Georgia from California, and I just wanted toknow some tips on making this a smooth move because I am cargoing a 2 year okd.LoL... He has never been on a long drive before and I am curious about motion sickness and how to keep them entertained. Any tips anybody? Thank you.

Jamerica323

Asked by Jamerica323 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure about motion sickness but Can you get your hands on a portable DVD player? That and a bunch of toys at arms length. Good luck!! Bring a ton of music for yourself so you don't go insane!!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• portable DVD player, talking books, and travel songs for kids. I have taken a toodler and baby from CA to Montana in the car adn I have taken them to HI. I had no problems with motion sickness. Since they are going to be a car for a while when you bed down be prepared for energy burst unless you drive straight thru. They need to stretch out often or they will sleep to much, and go crazy on you later
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• We have made a 12 hour trip from Houston to Kansas several times with our son (now 2). Then when we PCS to Alaska we drove about 4000 miles with a very active 18 month old and 2 cats.

Just a tip I learned when I made the trip by my self once, if you stop to change the kids, put gas in the car even if you have a half a tank or more, because the minute you need to get gas will be the minute they fall asleep.

Stop every 3 hours just to get out and stretch.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 10:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My son loved to watch his movies in the car but make sure to take several that they like because after about 4 hours of the same movie you will be going crazy.

Keep lots of extra clothes where they are easily reachable because you don't want to have to dig like crazy when your child decided to throw up or have a potty accident.

On that note keep a small bucket handy and plenty of baby wipes and a towel or two, an air freshener can't hurt.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 10:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I give my son the color wonder markers because they only color on the paper so they don't make a mess on him.

We also take lots of story books for him to "read" to himself.

Make sure if they have a security item that you have it and that you don't forget it some where.

Take advantage of the fast food places with playareas. They are your best friend when your kids are getting restless and need to run off some energy. Even if it is not meal time, you can just grab some cookies and a drink or something else to snack on. Let them run around for 20 minutes or so and get some energy out. Yeah it makes the trip a bit longer but helps keep the sanity.

If you have any other questions you can message me.

EtiesMommy

• I'm not too sure about motion sickness, you may ask your Dr if your child has had problems in the past. We used gummy bears to help with ear popping while going through the mountains on vacation. I also purchased a new, small, cheep toy for everyday that we were in the car. Along with the DVD player the toys really helped keep my daughter busy in the car. And don't forget a variety of snacks.

chandelier01

Answer by chandelier01 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2008

• WoW..these are great tips... Yall are great mommies!! Yall really made me feel like I can do this... Thank you ladies!!
    Jamerica323

Answer by Jamerica323 at 1:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008