Will I be able to handle labor with bruised ribs?

I hate to sound like a total pain wimp, but I have a severe respiratory infection and the coughing has really really hurt my ribs. The pain under my right arm is excruciating any time I reach, lift, or move. I spent last night in the hospital getting breathing treatments, but the doctor can't help with the pain. I wonder how long this is going to take to heal, and I'm terrified that it will still hurt a lot when I have the baby. I have 2 children and a husband, and I need to be all I can be for them.

MirandaBooher

Asked by MirandaBooher at 11:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i think you can our bodys are meant to stand a whole ot of pain before we just cant bare it
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 11:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You'll have some amazing hormones going on that will block a lot of pain, but if you get too terribly in pain there are always options to relieve it. Many women are anti-medication when it comes to giving birth, but there is no reason to put yourself & the baby into an unnecessarily stressful & painful situation if you do not have to.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I would think they would give you pain meds if it gets too bad for you, right???
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think you can handle it and if it gets too bad they can give you pain meds if you want them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• bruised ribs usually heal within a week to 10 days IF you rest and dont do what makes you hurt.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• you might now actually feel the pain in your ribs once you go into labor...the labor pain might just overcome you and you will forget about everything eles.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 3:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2011