What is wrong with me?... Has this happened to you? adult content

FAIR WARNING: I am about to describe some gross symptoms...so if you're sensitive, read at your own risk!

Every month or so, I have these horrible stomach symptoms, and the doctors I've seen all have different theories. My symptoms are close to that of a gallbladder attack, but ultrasound was negative for stones.
So, no matter what I eat, I get these awful stomach-flu type symptoms that come on all of a sudden without warning. It starts with a bloated feeling in my abdomen, then I burp when I stand or shift position...and they taste awful! Next, I start to feel sick to my stomach and have the urge to use the restroom, but can't. Eventually, I have unbearable abdominal pain...an intense burning sensation from my ribs down to my pelvic area. Then I feel like I'm going to vomit, but again, I can't. After a few hours, I usually do manage to vomit, and it's like the food has gone bad in my stomach. During the pain and nausea, there is also diarrhea every 15 mins or so.  After enduring this for 6-8 hours (always during the night), it goes away as suddenly as it came on...leaving me exhausted and confused.
One doctor said I may have had the stomach flu, but this has been going on for nearly 3 years now, and no one in my household has the symptoms but me. Another doctor said I may have acid reflux, and I think that's ridiculous. Acid reflux doesn't cause abdominal pain and diarrhea. 
One other thing.... my dad lives over 2,000 miles away, and has started exhibiting these EXACT same symptoms over the past few months!  Please tell me one of you has had this and knows what is wrong with me!!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 11:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Health

• ooooo sounds bad and painful i wish i could say the gallbladder but i have it and ive never had any of those symptoms
    nicolia

Answer by nicolia at 11:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You have either Crohn's Disease or IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).....I can't believe your dr.'s can't give you a more accurate diagnosis!
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I had similar problems and it did turn out to be reflux. I wasn't feeling it, but it was seriously irritating my stomach. Don't take Ibuprophen because it will make it worse. My doctor put me on Nexium and Aleve. I ate a somewhat bland diet with no soda or alcohol. It took about 6 weeks but it went away and I haven't had it since.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Are you eating anything during the week or days before this attack each and every month? Like at a restaurant or roach coach tha tyou normally dont the other weeks of the month? Go for mexican a day or two before the attack? A smoothie? Eliminate any place or food you've been eating at or eating the previous 3-5 days before you get this attack. You MAY need to see a gastroenterology Doctor. They specialize in this sort of thing and are more likely to know what's causing it than a general Dr. Your symptoms to me sound like mild food poisoning not gall stones. If your eating at one special place every month or treating yourself to something you usually dont get that's what's causing this. You may also have a food related allergy that dosnt give you hives, but a funny tummy instead.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• my son has acid reflux sounds like that. always at night. O I had gall bladder taken out. wasn't anything like that.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Sounds awful and wish I could be of help. I had my gallbladder removed because of gallstones and my symptoms weren't like that. Sorry! I hope you get an accurate diagnosis. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 11:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Well idk what u have but have anyond have colon cancer its not always easy to find out what's wrong with u its not as easy as u wish I know first hand make them do all the test they can run
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 11:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I had the same thing happen..in 2007 I was in severe tummy pain..like in my upper ads ..tried everything over the counter ! I was going from constipation to diarrhea .. I was drinking gallons of water and nothing helped..I ended up in the ER vomiting yellow fluid and little blood so they drugged me up and sent me to ultrasound and it turned out I had gallbladder SAND..my body was trying to break it down but my gallbladder was too small and thin and that made the pain and pressure..so that week I got my gallbladder removed and I have had no heartburn or pain...just the normal PMS bloated feelings but not pain...hope that helps =]

TheQueenPin

Answer by TheQueenPin at 11:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I had similar issues starting about 6 years ago and ending about 3 years ago and it was gas issues.
    Anonymous

• It is possible that you have a combination of acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome. Have you went to see a gastroenterologist? You may need to have an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. It's the only way to know for sure. Acid reflux can cause a lot of pain in some people, don't rule it out. Have you tried something like Zantac?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2011