Why is the US in eastern Libya ? Why are we still fighting?

I'm a little confused...I'm not politically current or knowledgeable..but I do not live under a rock and I am aware of air strike and oil city of Brega...I don't understand why we started fighting and now we are fighting new ppl...Aren't we some big US bullies!! And I don't even blame Obama because I saw Fahrenheit 911 and it's gonna to take a lot of peace & love to unpissed off what Bush did..Or Maybe it wasn't Bush maybe the system doesn't match with today's society...i don't know ..Someone educate me on this..

TheQueenPin

Asked by TheQueenPin at 11:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It all comes down to just one word, really: OIL
    cfh72

Answer by cfh72 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• This has nothing to do with 9/11. Well not really. The reason we gave air support is because the UN asked us to help support overthrowing Ghaddafi. We're backing down now and its being turned over to NATO.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Italy buys almost ALL libya's oil, and Italy are OUR allies. Italy gas is on strict rations right now. My MIL lives there. We have to help our allies I guess. I think Italy should solve THEIR own problem with Libya instead of just letting us use their air ports and bases. America shouldnt be in Libya at all!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Simple version: Egypt had an uprising that set off a chain of discontent throughout the Middle East. Many countries are considering revolting against their despotic leaders, Libya included. Muammar Gaddafi, leader of Libya has been quelling the rebellion in his country through force, and is killing innocent civilians. The U.N. declared a 'no-fly' zone, and so several countries including France & the U.S. are bombing various military & political compounds that belong to Gaddafi.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 11:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• And I don't even blame Obama because I saw Fahrenheit 911

LMAO!!
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Good grief. This isn't about anything other than our allies wanted our air power to deal with their problems. They asked the UN, the UN asked Obama, he said yes. Whether or not you 'blame' him really doesn't matter.

For the record, I'd have just as soon sat this one out. As a military mom whose son GOT orders (while, I might add, Hillary was all over the news spouting off that we weren't going to do squat), I was NOT happy. I don't trust this POTUS with my son's life. Period. As far as I'm concerned, Obama isn't up to playing with little toy soldiers, let alone living breathing ones. He's much better suited to reading his teleprompter and playing golf ... meaning as CinC he sucketh. Bigtime.

The only reason we went is because we were asked. I don't agree with the action ~ mostly because of the AQ element involved, but it's a little late (and Obama didn't ask my opinion ahead of time).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Thanks =] much clearer now...so it's just business...oil business..and cocky leaders..(not Obama..he is so chill about this..)
    TheQueenPin

Comment by TheQueenPin (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The Arab League asked the UN to assist with a No FLy Zone since Qadhafi (the dictator of libya) started bombing his own people. The UN security council agreed to this with 10 votes for it (including the US) and 5 abstenations. So the UK and Italy imediately began strikes (for the obvious reasons "to protect citizens" and to protect the interest of the oil in Libya... even though no news site will ever mention that). The US joined in a day later or so. Now NATOs got it.

Tunisia (my other country) is right next door to Libya. People have been pouring over the border into Tunisia to get away from Qadhafi. He is crazy and I am glad the world is standing up to him even if there are ulterior motives. The neighboring states to libya (Tunisia and Egypt) are both in a political/governmental upheaval at the moment and are rapidly absorbing refugees even though we have no permanent government. God willing qadhafi will be gone soon.
    HeatUSA-Tunisia

Answer by HeatUSA-Tunisia at 11:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Actually EdwinsMommy, Tunisia started it all. Protests and Government attempted overthrows in Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Yemen, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Syria all followed Tunisia... which all started in December... because of one man who was desperate enough to light himself on fire Dec 17th. He, Mohammed Bouazizi, literally ignited the Arab nations in their demand for the justice and dignity all humans deserve.
    HeatUSA-Tunisia

Answer by HeatUSA-Tunisia at 11:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• (not Obama..he is so chill about this..)

And again. LMAO
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2011