KIDS AND CELL PHONES???

what rules do you give your child in regards to them and there cell phones??? what should a 9yr olds cell phone rules be...???what is best...??? just looking for ideas...my son has always had a phone but always lost it now his 9yrs old and his in love with his phone...very attentive and with it up and down...(he does not take it to school or use it after 9pm)...thanks

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 11:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• You can buy cell phones that YOU the parent program so the kid can only get the calls or make the calls you allow. I dont see why a 9 y.o should have or need a cell phone. If the kid's friends all got nose piercings I suppose you'de let your kid get one to? No? Just cause others give kid's a cell dosnt mean you have to.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It's no to cell phones until they're 16,and have a part time job to help pay for it. Our boys are 7, 8 and 14, and don't even care about them. We aren't raising entitled children.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We don't do cell phones until kids don't need adult supervision. at the least. I only know one child in my sons class that has one. He will be 10 this wk. But for the age I would let my child start useing a phone. I would give them prepaid and check it so I know who and what is being said.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i did not get him the phone let me clear it up...my ex husband my son father got him the phone cuz he wants to talk and txt my son and my daughter whenever...his father new wife has forbidden my ex to have any contact with me so he did this...
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• yeah i do check it all the time and have programed only family in it like my mom, brother and sisters and also his fathers side of the family...but if anything becomes a red flag i guess the phone can go M.I.A
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My boys had phones about 11, mainly due to the fact that one of their friends has diabetes and we wanted to make if anything happened to them they always had a way to reach us. Where we live all the kids have cell phones at about 11 or 12. I don't think I know many kids that don't.
    For us the rules are pretty simple, I have the authority to check your phone when I feel its necessary. No texting or talking on the phone during family time (dinner, movies etc). No taking the phone to bed with you.
    We've never had any problems, I have had a couple phones could ruined, (was pushed in the pool, left his gatorade in his baseball bag open with his phone in there, dropped his phone playing basketball) but we have a warranty on the phones so it didn't cost much to get new ones.
    Set your rules and monitor as necessary.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with blessed - "For us the rules are pretty simple, I have the authority to check your phone when I feel its necessary. No texting or talking on the phone during family time (dinner, movies etc). No taking the phone to bed with you."
    4EqltyMom

Answer by 4EqltyMom at 12:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My husband and I didn't even get cell phones until last year when I was pregnant with my DD, and these are prepaid with $10 a month text only plan. We just don't see the need for the expense so kids definitely won't get phones from us, but when they are old enough to get one for themselves and pay for it, there still will be rules about parental monitoring of texts and overall usage, phones not allowed at school, and strict discussions about using them while driving. And after reading Blessed rules I think I'll add those too :).
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Mrs Leftlane Wow , YOu know only one child with a Mobile, Where do you live?
    Here in Israel we recently gave my 12 yr old a Mobile actually years ago we had it and gave it to his grandfather but the account was open under his name. Having wrecked my mobile whilst pregnant I managed to get it back and even though I was talking about only giving it to our son when he reaches 13 circumstances made me relent a year earlier. My son has an open line and almost daily rings me to tell me he is home or on the way, It really has helped me out this year , he is more independent and I can do what I want with 3 little ones , twin 8 yr olds and newborn whilst he is kept in check so as he doesn't stray. He hasnt yet abused the calls and keeps calls to a minimum as a rule I insisted upon as a precondition and necessity.
    twinpicks

Answer by twinpicks at 4:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• IMO Kids shouldn't have cell phones....
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 3:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2011