Summer is coming, when is it okay to use sunscreen?

My baby is 9 weeks old. We do a lot of outdoor activities during spring/summer. We go on a lot of walks, hikes, trips to Disneyland/Downtown Disney, parks, bbqs and pool parties. When is it okay to use sunscreen on babies? If not now, what is the best way to protect him from the sun without using a lot of clothing (which will make him hot)?

bentleysmommy11

Asked by bentleysmommy11 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never on babies under 6 months!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with the first poster - never on babies under 6 months. Put a sun hat on him, sit in the shade whenever you can... and they do make a lot of clothing now which is meant for the sun - won't make him overly hot and will keep the sun out. Try googling "clothing with UV protection for infants", or something... I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of results.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Sunscreen has not proven harmful conclusively in younger babies, however it is still best you use it in very small amounts, and mostly rely on clothing protection and avoiding the sun at the hottest part of the day (10 a.m. -4 p.m). I'd say SPF 35 just to be safe & use child-specific sunscreen.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You can get a sunscreen for your stroller. Otherwise dress him in lightweight clothing so he doesn't over-heat and try to keep him out of direct sunlight for extended periods of time. When it's time to start using sunscreen, check here for the highest-rated in safety... http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Just keep him in cool shade.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 12:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• "Cool" shade is very hard to find here in Inland-Southern California, our summers get up to 116 degrees! HAHA. I will be dressing him lightly, and getting a hate for him. I don't want to use sunscreen till he is old enough. Thanks for all of the helpful advice mama's!
    bentleysmommy11

Comment by bentleysmommy11 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My Dr said it was okay to use minimal sunblock..I got some from a health market..but light clothing and an umbrella..my baby was born June last year and I brought this thing everywhere and straped it to the stroller and it was perfect :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Never put it that young.
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Nope, not a good idea, nor is being out in 116 degree temps when that young. Stay indoors and wait until evening when it is some cooler.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2011