What is a parenting order? My son's biodads lawyer is writing one up and plans on presenting it to me and my lawyer. What if I dont agree with it? What recourse do I have?

The biodad and I were never married. After 3 1/2 yr. he went for every other week visitation and it was granted. Now this parenting order....

franfran811

Asked by franfran811 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• A Parenting Order or Parenting Plan is a written agreement for where the child is suppose to visit the other parent during the month and for holidays. Every state is different I'm sure in their rules about them, but either way, you both file a proposed parenting plan and go into court where you the judge would sign either yours or his. It is best if you meet with a lawyer yourself for proper legal help.

*I have had one with my 8yr for the last 6yrs and it has worked great since his dad was known for trying to play games with me. Now we've been able to privately relax the "rules" to fit our lifestyles. *

good luck.
    bingogurl

Answer by bingogurl at 12:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I would get a lawyer too.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Get a lawyer and make sure you know what is in that parenting order before agreeing to it. That way you know you won't overlook something in it that you may agree on. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• sometimes a parenting order is just the dad making sure he is the "father" in the eyes of the court system. Every child has a bio-father, but not every child has a "legal" father. The birth certificate alone is not enough to establish who is the "legal" father. Thats the law here in MI, it might be diffeent there were u live.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• If you don't agree to it, don't sign it. Simple as that. Though, he can take it to Court.

My suggestion is to write one of your own to present to him and his atty (or have your atty do it, but it's actually fairly simple to write). Go to www.deltabravo.net and look at the various versions they have there (just search for Parenting Plan and they should all pop up), and take bits and pieces from each to make a thorough plan.

What it is is basically a plan that expands on each parents rights and responsibilities, as well as financials, custody/visitation, etc. I think they are better than the basic orders that most states do. They are thorough and leave less wiggle room for either parent to "interpret" the Order-it will all be in black and white.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2011