Ideas to get LO to lift his head more during tummy time

We don't have a actual tummy time mat with colors, toys, etc... we just lay him on a blanket two times a day for about 10-15 minutes each time (or until he gets fussy). He turns his head back and forth really well, and occasionally lifts his head. Do you have any ideas to get him to do a bigger "push up" to strengthen his neck muscles more? I have heard making tummy time cards with bright colors and pictures is a good way, has anyone done this?

bentleysmommy11

Asked by bentleysmommy11 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Oh sorry, I meant to put that in my post! He is 9 weeks! :)
    bentleysmommy11

Comment by bentleysmommy11 (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Hmm, I think that what you're doing is great for now. In time, as he gains more strength and muscle control he'll be able to do more. I would just lay with him and draw his attention. Give it some time :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Edwin is 9 weeks as well, we talk to him during tummy time. Mostly he lifts his head because we take naps with him laying on me on his tummy, so he gets used to lifting his head up to see mommy at naptime. If he's cooing already, try to get him to 'talk' when he's on his tummy so he has to look at you :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I think he is doing great... I think I am doing the "no-no" and comparing him with a friends baby who is the same age and is pushing himself up already. OOPS :( Thanks for the reassurance! :D
    bentleysmommy11

Comment by bentleysmommy11 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You could try laying on your tummy facing him so he has to look up to look at you. That's what I did with my daughter.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Just let him be, he will get stronger the more tummy time you give him. He is fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2011