Worms???

ok so my puppy just pooped worms for the first time... we gave her worm med is that all we have to do? it might sound stupid but can gets get anything from the dog??

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Pets

• U need to take the pup to the vet for the proper meds.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• It depends on the type of worms...and I'm no expert. We've dealt with them in our cat before. There are several types of worms and the meds you gave may not be for that specific type and may have no effect. You should probably just take him to the vet.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You should probably take him to the vet so they can tell you what type of worms he has, then they will give the dog a de-wormer, that will kill them, and then your dog will poop out the dead worms (or throw them up in some cases). I am almost positive that humans cannot be affected by the dogs worms, but just to be on the safe side, don't let him lick you in the face.
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Hehehehe, to the above! The worms my cat had, the vet said came either from my cat ingesting a flea which carried the worm, or ingested a small animal which had it. We didn't have either at the time so I have no idea how she ever got them. That said, the vet told us the only way for us to catch those worms, was to ingest the worm itself (EWWW) or ingest a flea (EWWW again). Needless to say, we never got worms!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• take the pup to the vet the dewormer they put up their nose there works fast and is far more effective its also cheap about $10
    mom057

Answer by mom057 at 3:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• if it is a very young puppy it is very common but i recommend going to the vet so you get the right meds
    AmandaV.

Answer by AmandaV. at 3:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2011