Both of my dogs are not technically potty trained. Tips to potty train them?

Neither of my dogs (2 & 4) are potty trained. They are both males, and mark their territory. They are criptorchids (which means they only have once testicle) so its VERY expensive to have them fixed... so we haven't done it yet. Any tips to get them potty trained, and quickly... my couches and carpet are being destroyed!!!

bentleysmommy11

Asked by bentleysmommy11 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Have you tried using potty pads with them?
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 12:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I used diapers & took them out when I could. Make sure they're Kennel broken. Helps. They really don't enjoy making their own private space filthy.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 12:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The best method for housebreaking a dog is kennel training. I'm sure if you google it someone who can explain it better than I will have a really good article on it. I used to be a vet tech and my husband is in vet school and I know lots of vets that recommend it.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 12:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• They are crate trained. They sleep in their crates while we are out of the house, and they sleep in our bed with us (and never go in our room) but they pee on the carpet/couches throughout the day, and OCCASIONALLY poop in the house.... UGH!
    bentleysmommy11

Comment by bentleysmommy11 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Put down papers or pads in a designated spot and train them to go there. It will work but u have to be consistent.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• What kinda dogs are they?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• when u do potty train them, u have to clean up ALL the spots the already marked, otherwise this training u will be doing will be useless, cause they still will go back to the site were they already wizzed. Also, no matter how angry u might get if you catch your dog urinating or defecating in the house, don’t lose your temper! You may distract him to stop him and get him to go out, but don't yell. Also,dogs don’t associate inside/outside with getting in trouble they associate “the act” of urinating and defecating with getting in trouble so in their minds they vow to sneak off away from you to do their duty because they think it offends you so badly.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• A few things to try I used when I trained my dog and what I learned when I was in dog training school is to try and restrict the dogs access to the house, much like crate training. Plus making his environment smaller will help limit mistakes. Try to keep them within your sight. Dogs will sneak off to have accidents and if u can;'t see them, they maybe getting into trouble! Go outside with them. They just might be out there playing, not taking care of business. Plus this also will help u learn his routine. Praise him when he goes potty outside, give them a treat ie..milk bones work great, plus clean and freshens the breath. Some dogs like going to one particular spot in the yard so maybe a fav treat. But sometimes this may not address the problem and the dog will just find a new spot. Since their crate trained that helps. Don't use potty pads or aids like that if u want them o go outside, this will confuse them.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Attach them to you. tether or leash. After they eat or drink or just put them on a schedule. Use a can with coins for discipline. when they are in the act of doing it in the house. If yo put them on a shedule they shouldn't andif they do they are doing it for another reason. They should only have to eliminate 4 times a day average. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2011