Eating problems

hey. my little girl is 1 month old now. I breasfeed her and she loves it. When she was two weeks ols,she would eat every 3 hours during the day and 4 hours during the night. Now she eats every 2.5- 3 hours night or day,but doesn't seem to be satisfied or full. She starts nursing and falls asleep couple min later.I tried eveything and even if she wakes up,she would eat for 45 min and later would fall asleep again.But i don't think that she gets enough,because as soon as i put her in the crib,30 min later she wakes up because she is hungry. I gave her a bottle with my milk or formula,when i had to go out,she did fine,but she did not fall asleep and finished it in 5 min.She drinks very fast and swollowes a lot of air,because of that. My concern is: i don't know how much is enough for her and why does it take her 45 min to nurse and sometimes she does not even finish eating,falls asleep. It's really hard to feen her,especially at night,when i am dead tired. I want to keep breastfeed her no matter what,but i don't know how to stop eating so often,every 2.3 hours,because it looks like i feed her all the time.

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a "La leche League" where you are? Or any kind of breastfeeding support? If I were you (not saying you should take my advice, but this is how I would do it), I'd just pump it for awhile and give it by bottle. That way you can monitor more closelt how much she IS getting. But see if you have any support groups first.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 12:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Um, honey, that's normal. They will cluster feed sometimes, and every 2-3 hours is a pretty long time, frankly. They like to eat a lot! Let her nurse until she breaks the latch and won't go back on. Do you cosleep? That makes nighttime nursing SOOOO much easier. I would lie on my back, sit up DS with my arm (like the football hold on my back), and he'd nurse like that. It worked out perfectly so I could sleep.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I had the same problem with Edwin until about 2 weeks ago. Make sure she's latched properly, otherwise she will fall asleep. Place your hand under your breast in a 'C' hold and bring the baby to your breast, not vice versa, to see if she eats slower that way. Do you nurse laying down? This is very comfortable for both Edwin & I because if he falls asleep, I can just take a break until he wakes up in a few minutes. Co-sleeping is the best choice I made because I am right there when he needs me & I do not have to get out of bed. Seek help from other nursing friends/family or the La Leche League, chances are there's one in your area.Mostly, you have to trust your body's ability to feed your baby & not stress out, because it will get better. Just stay hydrated, stay motivated, you're doing the best thing for your baby mommy :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Also, DON'T switch to pumping, because you won't get as much out as she can get by sucking, it'll take you WAYYY more time, and it's NOT an accurate way to figure out how much she's getting. Definitely contact La Leche League if you have concerns, though. I really wouldn't worry too much about supply unless she's being fussy after feedings, like she wants more.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• ok i have 5 kids and i breast fed all of them and my youngest is 8 months and she still nurses through the night so i sleep with a sports braw on and i know it sounds crazy but i leave a boob out so she can nurse on her own cuz i got tired of getting up every time she wanted to eat but my dr said you cant over feed a breast fed baby breast milk is thin and if you haven't noticed it goes right through them and it seems my baby is lached on to me 24 /7 but thats just the way it gose when your nursing i went through it whith all 5 of my kids but when they get bigger and start eating food they tend to go longer with out nursing but its completely normal what your babys doing just nurse laying down on your side so you both can get some sleep because you nurse and when you move your baby they know your not there cuz your sent isnt there any more
    christinaj1979

Answer by christinaj1979 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• That is completely normal. You actually are quite lucky that she is feeding every 2-3 hours! Sometimes my little one nurses every hour to an hour and a half! They not only like to eat, but they love the feeling of you next to them. They like to cuddle with mama. Co-sleeping is a good way to nurse through the night, if you are extremely exhausted! Good luck!
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree with cosleeping; you will both get more/better sleep.

She may be going through a growth spurt.

Keep up the awesome job!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• And supplementing with formula will only serve to decrease your supply