Alone time?

I am a stay at home mom with 2 kiddos. My son is 4 and he follows me around the house asking me to play with him. I always set times of the day for just him and have him help me around the house but he expects it to be all day. I am getting to the point I tell him to go watch cartoons or go play in his room. He throws a tantrum. I just want to yell at him sometimes to go play and leave me alone. Is this ok. Any ideas. I'm getting so frustrated I cry sometimes.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 12:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids can't always have what they want. Let him throw his tantrum but don't say a word! In the first place telling him to leave you alone would just be mean (I know you haven't said that yet). In the second place, not saying a word and totally ignoring him when he tantrums is more effective. If you can't take the screaming, just leave the room but don't look at him or talk to him when you do it! Good luck!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2011

• Oh how lucky, your little guy adores you, enjoy it while it lasts! :) I'd say if you're really looking for some mommy time, look for a project that will take him a long time to complete like a craft or a coloring book. Also, look for other kids his age in your area to set up a play date for some mommy time, or a day with grandma & grandpa if they're available. No one can be super mom 24/7.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I was just talking to another mom about this kind of issue, actually. It's one of the things you don't really expect in being a mom, but one of the hardest things we do. Their idea of a fun game is SO boring to us, and they want to play it endlessly. Honestly I think it is this time that we (begrudgingly?) give to our kids that most makes moms deserve a medal.

Ideas: go out someplace where he can be stimulated without your constant attention. You might find things that interst you, or at least a change of pace at the library, park or pool. You cannot expect him to "leave you alone" and do not punish him for wanting you. Of course tv can be your best friend too (oh how I love you, Dora the Explorer!) but try not to overdo that one. Wet play or paints can sometimes entertain him for a while, even though it may mean a messy clean up for you afterwards. No-one ever said motherhood was easy!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• How old is the other child? With two, they generally play together and give you a bit of time. From 1-2 my son was very clingy and wouldn't dare to let me even have a pee by myself. He just turned three and has learned to have independent play time. If the children are too far apart in age to play on their own, you can try to encourage them to work together, or if your best option is for the 4 yo to play alone, try to incorporate more solitary activities into his daily repertoire, such as puzzles or coloring.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 12:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• its completely normal to be overwhelmed with a child up ur butt lol but u both need seperation i learned this the hard way with my oldest
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I agree with the others they have some good ideas; my oldest was very clingy with me also and it was very hard to leave him but I made myself do it and he is better now
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2011