Does everybody die?

My 4yr. old asked me that question today. I don't know how to answer him without scaring him.

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 1:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hum,...we just answer the questions straight forward w our kids in the family. I'm not good at lying or glorifying things.I just would've said,'Yup, are you hungry?' Just change the subject after that.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 2:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• You do not have to be religious to explain death to a child! Oh please!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes, when the time comes. And no one knows when their time is coming.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• have you tried just saying yes. . . it is the cycle of life. . . we are born, we live, we die. . . and in doing so the cycle can begin again. . .it is simple really. . . and yes if you are religious. . . explain about what your religion believes. . . heaven and hell, Valhalla, etc. . . every religion has a belief system on death. . . and that might make it easier. . . but not always. The concept of death can be very scary and not just at such a young age. . .set you child down and talk about it. . . talk about what you believe and let 'em ask questions. . . you might not have all the answers. . . but. . .
    Hope this helps. . .Just MHO.
    GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 1:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The whole religon thing is to complicated to explain to a 4 year old (in my opinion) keep it simple and remind him/her that it will be a long time till they pass... just so they arent afraid.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 1:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• my 4yo learned from school everyone dies, and the focus was on when people are very old and sick. Now I know that's not right to teach her, so I try not to focus on that. A few months later my grandmother, who she is close to and named after, passed away. She is still occassionally bringing it up, trying to make sense of death and trying to grieve in her 4 y/o way. There are some great books, and if you don't want to have to explain religion/aren't religious some atheist info is helpful as it focuses on nature and life cycle. I remember being completed blindsided when my daughter brought this up, good luck! It's not as hard as it seems, honest.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 1:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• In the past 7 years (and my DD is 7) we have had a death it seems just about every year. . . in both my Dh's family and my own. . . 2 of my Uncles, my twin baby brother and sister, my FIL, an aunt of my DH, my grandfather, three of my Dh's baby cousins, Dh's grandpa, Dh's aunt, Dh's grandma. . . death happens a lot. . . at yeah it seems like it might all happen at once. . .but when it is there time. . .it is there time. . . and telling your child that they are in heaven or what have you. . .doesn't answer the questions. . . be honest, even if they are too little to understand. . .let them ask questions. . .take them to the viewings and funerals, let them mourn even if they don't comprehend it. And make sure they know that that person is at peace and is watching over them. . .but don't try to sweeten it for them and tell them a myth. .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Just be honest, straight forward, and give a simple answer.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• there alot of deaths in my husbands family and we just tell our son that uncle so an so went to stay with Jesus and he is fine with that and he is 6
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:38 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Yes when the time is right
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 8:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011