If my husband enlists in the air force...

When he leaves for basic, what happends to my kids an I? And how long before we are moved to the place he will be stationed??

beautifulmom577

Asked by beautifulmom577 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• When he leaves for basic you will be left at home, no housing will be provided to you.

I believe that he has to complete all his training (basic + training for his specific job) and then be stationed before you can join him. And I also believe that the expense of moving the first time is all yours, and once you are on base with him they will pay for you to join him (so long as it is somewhere you are aloud to go)

Its all a little fuzzy....my bf was talking about joining the marines a while back....we were gonna get married so I could follow him, and we asked a bunch of questions about it....I may be wrong though, but I am sure a military wife will see this too and correct me if I am wrong.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• he goes through basic and tech school. then he goes to the next station. ive seen wives and GFs get apts near training base, but honestly its a waste. i thnk my hubby graduated from basic on 2 Jan and finished tech school in april. then we went to the first base. we are now on our way to the third. you won't be provided housing or anything while hes in basic tech school deployments or remote tours. are you all married? if so then everything for your first base will include you. if not, then you all are living off base until you get married. i hope i ansered it for ya...any other questions you think of PM me...i'm a AF wife and have been for 6 years now :)
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2008