Persecution.....Do you think?

Do you think Christian persecution will happen in this country? Do you think Christian's will begin to lose their rights and not be allowed to speak up about what the bible says regarding sin (i.e. adultery, fornication, abortion, homosexuality etc.)? The reason I'm asking is in other countries.. Christians are persecuted, jailed, and killed for their belief in Jesus... do you think any or some of these things will happen in America? Also, hearing about a woman in Canada who was jailed for praying in front of an abortion facility (not bothering anyone just praying) made me think about this Also some have been jailed for praying or speaking against homosexuality (it's considered hate speech in Canada).

Anyone can answer, please just no foul language and respect other people's opinions.

bonn777

Asked by bonn777 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• The country has become more Christian over the last 8 years? Why do you think? Maybe 9-11? Maybe more people woke up! I see less and less Christians where I'm standing. So many people are turning their backs to it.

I believe it can and will happen. Would I die for my faith, sure! Would I kill, no! That's against everything I believe in.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• NO

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Right now the way it seems to me is that Christians are the majority in this country and seem to do most of the "criticizing" of others who are not. I sincerely doubt that a woman was jailed just for "praying"...most times people acaust abortion clinics to do more than pray but even if she did, there is no way that signifies the end of religious free speech. I feel more for those who practice within unconventional faiths and get persecuted for it. Those people suffer greatly and way more harshly than any Christian in this good ol' U.S of A.
    Anonymous

• I hope not, but everyday it seems like we lose the right to put our beliefs out there.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Why not? It has happened to all other religions.
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 1:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• how can you say that? You lose your rights?? Where? How? YOU are the majority and your "beliefs" are shoved down everyone else's throats in this country!!! My child goes to a school in the south where they passed out "Jesus Loves You" pencils on the first day. I complained about it citing it as a conflict between church and state. Do you think I was heard? NO WAY!! They do whatever they want because most people down here are Christian and think it's okay. It's NOT okay.
    Anonymous

• As an atheist, I worry about the same thing. While there is nothing requiring atheists to look at Christians as the enemy, many Christians look to the Bible and see atheists as a sign of the end times or a reason why god would be mad at the world (these are things people have said to me). Has anyone seen Jesus Camp? Did you see the little girl (maybe 10) talk about how she was ready to kill or die for her beliefs. That movie scared me to death! What if people with beliefs like those portrayed in the movie become the majority? (I am generalizing here. I know some atheists think Christians are the enemy and some Christians do not believe atheists are the source of evil in the world. Just making a point).

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• This county has become increasingly Christian over the past 8 years. Governement has crossed the line of seperation of church and state more and more (did you see the post about Homeland Security in Kentucky this morning). I don't think Christians will ever loose their rights in this country. However, I do believe, as a culture, we are becoming increasingly excepting of lifestyles that the Bible does not always emulate.
    jcsscfam5

• However, a great majority of the sins in the Bible are cultural taboos as well (adultery, lying, stealing, etc). Wouldn't be beneficial to see that the basic sins are apart of our culture? It is going to take respect (not tolerance) from many people to learn to live in a society that does not always follow their beliefs. I mean that from both sides. Christians need to learn to respect those that don't agree and those that don't agree with Christians need to respect their beliefs as well. If you are against abortion, don't have one. If you don't like homosexual marriage, don't marry someone of your sex.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Since there can be no laws regarding religion in this country, except for the freedom of religion. I don't think they can make laws for or against Christians. But I do believe that Christians need to remember that they are not the only faith in America, and that our laws cannot be made to go according to their faith ie abortion, gay marriage, ect.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2008