Should kids believe in Santa Claus?

My husband thinks so, and I do not. I grew up in a Catholic household knowing the truth about Christmas, always receiving presents of course but my siblings and I always knew they were from our parents, grandparents, ect. My husband grew up in a household that the Santa Claus fairy tale was used and it still is, he thinks that kids need that. That life gets too serious too fast and Santa Claus should be a normal part of childhood. I don't see the point...what do you think?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 2:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Holidays

• I was raised Catholic, like you, Santa was never big lol. Some of my family however did believe or instill Santa belief into their kids and I think it was a good thing. My kids believe in Santa now and they also know the true meaning of Christmas. When they get older I teach them about the real saint Nick and it really I believe is good for them.

Answer by gemgem at 10:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think it's normal to believe in Santa.

It's just Christmas spirit to me. I don't think it would hurt anything if you let him have part of his tradition about Christmas.

Were you also told about the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny?
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We don't do that in our house.  We don't do Christmas presents, birthday presents.  I don't need the media telling me when it's appropriate to buy my kids presents, they get those when their behavior says so.  My  hub gave in and let me do Christmas for a couple of years and that was enough for me.  It was too stressful and not what we want our children thinking the holidays are about.  We have big meals and lots of time sitting around the table talking at the big holidays.  On birthdays we eat pizza or something similar and ice cream cake.  They know Santa Claus doesn't exist but they have also been told not to tell other children that and the beans haven't been spilled yet, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I grew up in a catholic house to and we believed in Santa,tooth fairy and easter bunny. Life is too serious!!! Kids of all ages need that!!! It is normal and there is nothing wrong with it! Oh,and BTW, I had a fantastic childhood!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My sister and I found out very young that Santa was not real, but we had the spirit of Santa--The Spirit of giving. Even now, my mother signs our gifts "From Santa".
    The same with the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. It was FUN. We knew it wasn't real, but it those figures represented the spirit of giving, love and the magic that of those things that lie in each and everyone of us--if it is allowed to be there by the naysayers of the world.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• We never did the santa thing when I was growing up being christian we celebrated Christ's birth instead we did presents, family time, and decorations. We don't plan on tell our children that santa is real or the easter bunny or tooth fairy.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Easter was strictly religious in my household, and the tooth fairy didn't exist. It sounds pretty bleak but my childhood was great without all those things. I am not as religious as my family was so I can handle easter egg hunts and putting a dollar under the pillow, but something about actually believing in a guy in a red suit just doesn't sit well with me. What kind of compromise do you think could be made?
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I do holidays and birthdays but I agree with what you are saying. If my daughter is doing bad in school and her attitude is crappy then she won't be getting anything regardless of the day.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• growing up- we did Santa AND the real reason was known- trust me it was fine. I figured it out on my own, was not devestated or anything like that, and remember it as being fun.
    When we had our kids we did the Santa, tooth fairy, Easter bunny thing- and now my kids are teen and tell me they loved it. They were not hurt or sad when they figured out there was no "real" Santa- but I think it is how it's handled really. Wehn they asked me if he was real, I asked them what they thought. When they said no, I told them that he IS real, just in a different way, that his spirit lives in all of us and that when we give, or help others, we ARE Santa- so yes Santa is real. They took it VERY well, and even though they are teens- we still do Santa gifts.
    cont
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• cont...

The way we did that was that most gifts were from us and under the tree well before Christmas morning, but on Christmas Eve, we would add one or two per kid that were unwrapped with fancier or bigger bows, and fill the stockings. That way it was never about Santa entirely. This is how we still do it. My teens love it.

I don't think you have to separate the fun make believe from the Christian versions of the holidays...we also told them that other people celebrate in different ways when they were kids, and we like to research history of holidays when they roll around too now that they are teens

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011