What do you think if someone puts their fingers in your baby's mouth?!

I absolutely hate it, but I just bite my tongue... I'm too afraid to offend someone!!

Peaceful_Turtle

Asked by Peaceful_Turtle at 1:07 PM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they think she has something in her mouth (she likes to stick EVERYTHING in her mouth) It doesn't bother me but, If they are feeling of her teeth or something I don't like it, And I do not bit my tounge I always say something!
    Anonymous

• it bugged me to death at first!! GAHHH but now that he is almost 5 months I just make sure whoever is holding him that their hands are clean....but It still drives me crazy and I end up saying something or making an exuse to pick him up.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 1:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• im kind of like that too,some lil girl poked my baby in the eye the girl was like 5 and her hands were realy dirty,i was afraid she would get pink eye or something but she didnt,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• What SHOULD I say???
    Peaceful_Turtle

Answer by Peaceful_Turtle at 1:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My daughter was born a micro preemie and had to have stomach surgery. After she came home and was healthy, my MIL would put her fingers in my daughters mouth which was a huge no-no. Both my husband and I stressed how disgusting it was and didn't want it done. We got the constant "she needs healthy germs". We finally got tired of that explanation, and spoke to her pediatrician. She too was bothered by that theory, and told us to never let people put their fingers in your daughters mouth, especially if she is under the age of 2. When she tried again my husband told her that her doctor does not want us to put our fingers in her mouth and to please stop because your putting her at risk. Your daughters health is much, much , much more important than offending grown adults.
    Carmiesmom08

Answer by Carmiesmom08 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• That heppened a lot here recently. The first thing that crosses my mind is "Where have their fingers been and have they washed them?" I wouldn't care if they wash them with anti bacterial soap before hand but it makes me worry if their hands are clean and kind of bugs me.
    Anonymous

• Tell them to please do not put there fingers in her mouth due to so many germs we collect under our nails. If the person gets offended than to bad. As the mother you are the only one to do that and the doctors. We only do that at the dr's office or hospital to pacifie or to see if the sucking was strong enough. Please tell them no, to many diseases out there not only germs. virus that could be deadly for a infant.
    Anonymous

• EWWW! throwing up I hate that!!! I would not let anyone put their fingers in any of my babies' mouths! We had some friends who used their fingers instead of a pacifier and I thought that was so gross and germy. After a while every time someone  at church held them, they would do it too! You never know where their fingers have been, especially kids. Don't worry about offending anyone, just tell them nicely not to do it. Your baby's health is more important than worrying about offending someone.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I think it depends on who's finger it is. If it's family... I don't really mind. They know to keep their fingers clean. But my baby is 4 months now and trys to get him mouth on anything he can find now so it's not like it matter much anymore.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2008