Thoughts?

Okay, so here is my story~ Me, my husband and twin girls live in an apartment complex. I home school my girls who are almost 12. We have a curriculum that I do everyday with them, but also allow them to take short breaks during the day. This might include a short bike ride together, walking the dogs, or catching bugs. So, here is my question....if people see my girls outside without me during school hours, can they call cps? If so, is there a way that I can make it obvious that I home school? Has anybody actually been through this, or know someone who has? Oh, and sometimes I might have them walk to the store to get a couple of things, which, the back of Albertsons is probably less than 100 feet from our front door, and I know they get looks in there as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would let them have breaks, and maybe do something outside like a pe work out, but nothing else while they are supoose to be in school... You can actually have the cops called for them walking around in public during school hrs that's against the law. I know from being on Independent study I had been stopped and ?, and told I wasn't allowed out during school hrs.
    mommatabby

Answer by mommatabby at 3:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Who cares what anyone thinks?? I home schooled our son until he was 9. I got a few looks "but no one ever said anything....ever". As long as you have a curriculum and they are registered never mind what anyone thinks. Good for you by the way. The 1st 7 years are the formative years. I did what I felt comfortable with for those years. Sounds like you have decided for important reasons as well. Good luck.

baby dustMichelle

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Anyone can TRY and call CPS but they REALLY need a VALID reason to make a home call on you. Dont worry what others may think of you. They DONT pay your bills or live in your home.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Depends on your state. Some states have strict truancy laws. Even for homeschoolers. I remember reading about one that said, even if homeschooling, kids MUST be inside the house or with their parents during school hours or the parents would be fined for truancy.
    You could make them little cards with a "school" letterhead or something explaining they are homeschooled and out with parental permission for when they're alone. I remember getting out of school early once in high school so I stopped at the mall on my way home and got hassled by security for not being in school. They wanted to detain me and call the truancy cops even though I explained I went to a Catholic school and we got out early that day. They didn't care because they had a no unsupervised minors policy during school hours. WTF? I wasn't even bothering anyone, just walking around.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:19 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I don't think anyone can say anything. Its not like your not educating them. People tend to look and stare when they don't know their situation.

Kimberly71682

Answer by Kimberly71682 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Our laws must not be too strict around here, because my kids go to a school that is Mon-Thurs, and I'll have my kids hanging out with me during regular school hours. Sure I'll have been asked what's up with the kids not being in school and explaining that they don't have school on Fridays with the school they go to.

I would call the non-emergency phone number to police and ask them what the state's truancy laws are. Sure, someone could call CPS on you, but that doesn't mean you'll get your kids taken away. They'd just come out, ask what's up, you tell 'em child is homeschooled, etc.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2011