8yo having "bad thoughts" PLEASE HELP

My son started having horrible thoughts that torment him and make him cry, about satan and killing people. We pray and read the bible, had the pastor pray over him, it continues. Taking him to a counselor now, next week. Has anyone else gone through this? I feel so sad for him it breaks my heart!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• child psychiatrist..religion will make this worse, see a dr, my ss is like this, meds will help
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Forgot to add he tol d me the other day that a boy in his class is always talking about satan and killing people! I think this is what started it all. He loves God, it's not about religion. I do NOT want to medicate him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I'm not trying to be mean babe but is your son actually hearing voices telling him to kill people or is the boy in his class giving him nightmares?  I can imagine my kids would be having nightmares if someone was constantly talking about satan and killing people.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• My viewpoint: Having people pray over him will make this worse. Yes, I know you go to church and are religious, but it probably scared him, and may have made it worse for him.

He needs an outlet, take him to counseling. And if they find something else (like these "voices" are something he actually hears instead of just what his friend said) and they suggest medication, TAKE IT. It would be considered neglect not to treat a mental disorder if there is one.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 4:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• This is probably why I will not introduce my dd to all that until she is mature enpough to understand and form her own opinions about god and all that other stuff.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• The kid at school talking about all of this can be scaring him. Make sure the counselor knows about the kid at school. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Sorry about your situation, darling. Make sure you get your son plenty of counseling and therapy and I do believe in my heart of hearts that the boy that's in your son's class is behind all of this drama. You need to set up a conferece with your son's teacher and let her know of the situation. If she doesn't do anything about it, take it to the principle and if need be even the Board of Education. This little boy shouldn't be allowed to continue to torment your son any longer!
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• I think you are jumping the gun on this issue. You said a kid at school is filling his head with this stuff not just your son thinking this stuff up? Talk to him. Tell him every budy is different and believes different thing.

Answer by louise2 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• First, have him removed from that classroom, or better yet have the kid who won't stop taking about Satan and killing people removed. Heaven knows I would not want my child around that all day, your poor son. I think the biggest problem your son has is the boy in his class. Having people pray for your son is fine, but I would not have them pray over him for now. A counselor is a good idea, your son really needs to work through this before it gets worse. Good luck to you and your son.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Does your church tell the kids about Hell and Satan- I know mine did when I was a kid...if they do, then it is probably a combination of that and what this kid is doing/ saying. I agree with laird 6372 in tht praying over him will be scary for him as well (my parents thought I was posessed at one point as a teen and it freaked me out when tey prayed over me and tried to do an exorsism). Not that what you are doing is that extreme- just pointing out that for a kid that could be scary as well. I also agree with the counselor and the fact that if they find a mental issue-he will need meds. Though that probably isn't the case, but still worth checking out if it continues
    Good luck with this hun
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2011