Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

My childrens real dad is a drug addict. I will not allow them to go over to his house anymore and they are heartbroken. What to do?

They are 11 and 13. I think my ex is doing meth again. I am almost positive. He is very bad tempered but not physically abusive. What woudl you do? I just pulled the plug and told my kids, sorry no more. Not untill he gets better.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (16)
  • I agree.  And I'm sorry to hear that.  My sister is struggling with her meth addiction, very hard.  I wouldn't leave my children with her period because of it and I can't see myself being any different with the father of my children.


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • I am so sorry to hear that Mrs.Houston. It hurts so bad! You just want them to get better and get off the drugs but all you can do is NOTHING. I hope for my ex that he will get clean so he can see his kids. It didn't work with his younger daughter years ago but you never know.I always pray for him, even with the kids. I am honest with them b/c they deserve it and I want them to know the ugly truth about drugs but my gosh it is hard to deal with all this.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:12 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • Oh I can't even imagine how hard it is!  But I do feel like you are doing the right thing, draw strength from doing what's in the best interest of your children.  I would be honest with them also.  Yes, we never know when the addict will hit rock bottom.  I'm sorry that your going through this, so very hard!


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • If you think he's doing drugs, have him take a drug test. If he has Court Ordered time with the children, unless you can prove he's doing drugs, he can get you on Contempt (which could lead to him getting more time and you getting penalized--even though you are trying to protect them). Could you ask the Court for supervised only visitation, so that the kids can still see him (since you said they are upset about it) but at the same time, you can guarantee that they are safe?

    Answer by laird6372 at 4:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • I agree with laird...go to the court house so u do not get in trouble. Is he cooking it also?

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • in as much as it breaks your heart, you did the right thing. if you like maybe the visits could be supervised. but the fact that you stepped up and made this decision shows me that you are being a responsible parent. it is not always easy to do what is right.

    Answer by gwen20 at 5:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • Do you have real proof he is doing drugs again? I agree with laird on this.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • I agree with laird too.

    Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • stay strong... kids some times dont realize how GREAT their parent was until they are a parent. Time will prove to them how strong and loving you are.

    Answer by sahlady at 12:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

  • You did the right thing and they are old enough to understand.

    Answer by older at 2:53 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.