My 4 year old dd is so bored during the day while sibs are at school. What can I do with her? (Can't afford preschool)

I tried to start a co-0p preschool by putting an ad on Craigslist but got no responses.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 4:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You could always "homeschool".. There's a website I love called I CAN TEACH MY CHILD (don't know the actual link) that has some AWESOME stuff. My DS (almost 4) goes 2x a week, and ODD (almost 3) doesn't go at all yet, but they always want to learn. I made a posterboard with letters on one side, and on the other, I have numbers, shapes, and colors. I also read to them, teach them how to write their letters, etc. Kids are like sponges at this age, so teach her a little each day, but spread it out so it'd not like she has to sit down all day (I don't even make mine sit, I turn it into games with them).

Also, arts and crafts are a big hit with my kiddos.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 4:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Go to the library, museums, the zoo. Take a bus or train to a different part of the city. Walk through ethnic neighborhoods.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Take the easiest way out: Ask her what she would like to do (besides TV?). Anything she says will be better than being bored. Wait and see and then try to make it happen. Mostly it's simple pleasures.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Take her to the library zoo and other fun yet educational places. Purchase workbooks from Dollar Tree, Dollar General, WalMart and work with her about 20 or 30 minutes a day. Purchase flash cards and dryerase board and other educational aides for your dd.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 7:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Find out when the library's story hour is and go to that. Make her your big helper to shop, cook. Go to the park
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Check into Head Start in your area.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Most communities have local moms groups that have activities/playgroups to go to. Local churches often have a weekly playgroup as well. I agree with one of the replies suggesting that you check with HeadStart because you can her into a pre-school program at little/no cost to you.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:22 PM on Apr. 3, 2011